S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Have you compared a Bottom Model V6 Blazer or Jeep Cherokees with V6 Explorer?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2010, 9:46 AM
jow
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you compared a Bottom Model V6 Blazer or Jeep Cherokees with V6 Explorer?

Have you compared a Bottom Model V6 Blazer or Jeep Cherokees with V6 Explorer?

I知 almost sure my 1993 V6 Explorer will be totaled from what I知 calling a Dash Fire but I never saw a flame. There is heat damage to the wires that connected to the ignition switch on the steering column. The connector and wires are not charred but the dash and instrument cluster above them are melted bad. I see more damage to the dash and instrument cluster than the hot wires could have caused. This makes me feel there was possibly another source of heat. I can not visualize them repairing this and giving a good enough warranty that I would feel safe.

Meanwhile, I have started looking for a replacement with a solid rear axle vs the newer Explorer痴 Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). The Bottom Model V6 Blazer or Cherokee appears to be my next two choices. I have no personal experience with either. I favor the Blazer over the Jeep because it appears to sit lower and have a little more space inside. Bottom Line! I will haul firewood and etc in a truck痴 bed liner when needed and haul my friends fishing w/o the liner. Are these Small SUVs compatible to the good job my 93 Explorer did? 116,000 miles trouble free except usual routine maintenance, had all the power and pep I needed, towed and hauled my small loads well and a good all purpose vehicle on or off the road.

Thanks in advance for any comments or comparisons you will share. jow
Old September 20th, 2010, 7:50 PM
jow
CF Beginner

Please help me out in getting up to date on these models and expected cost on Certified used models.

1. The Certified or Extended Warranties have saved me big on two 40,000 miles vehicles that had factory problems vs wear or miss-use.

2. I heard that new models might be cheaper with fewer accessories but I hope not!

3. While trying to get some quotes on-line today I learned the latest Trail Blazer vs S-10 is a Traverse and is a Tahoe basically the same and do both have solid rear axles?

4. My old habit of trading my used vehicles every 10 years or over 100,000 has caught up with me after 40 + years of owning and during my maintenance.

5. A fairly late used low mile vehicle is all I need for the little hauling I will use the vehicle for (07-08 is my goal).

Thanks for any help.
JOW
Old September 22nd, 2010, 9:50 PM
CF Active Member

I have a 99 GMC jimmy and I love that thing. Its got 133000 miles and still running like a brand new truck personally I don't think an exploder can hold a candle to a blazer or jimmy or even the cherokee (which has the impossible to break 4.0L).

The big down fall of the s-series truck its some of the front suspension parts, ball joints seem to go out a little faster than normal but it could be because I've done some pretty hardcore off-roading with it. The 4.3L is a strong engine and has pretty decent power (I've towed a 3500lb trailer with no problems) but its not the best on gas, after a tune up i'm getting about 18mpg highway and about 16 city with a k&n cold air intake, magnaflow hi flow cat, and flowmaster 44 series muffler. I'd stay away from another exploder.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
jow
CF Beginner

Thanks frickenbored And Others That Will Share ! Good timing, as I drove all 3 of these 07 SUVs low/end models yesterday at CarMax. 3 Weeks w/o wheel or finding a good fit is getting frustrating. This is what I found yesterday and need help/opinions on.
1. The 07 TrailBlazer was my 1<SUP>st</SUP> choice.
A. It was a 4 speed automatic listing 123D w/o showing an overdrive or driving relaxed like o/d. Overdrive was built into Drive. It appeared it had a rear-end ratio for towing vs overdrive?
B. I c/n see what I related with as a V6 motor vs a box with a fan vs Eng. and plugs showing?
C. The Eng. d/n have a V6 tone vs a in-line 6 or 4 cyl tone. Is that why you changed exhaust?
D. Do you have any links showing bare V6 engine w/o box, overdrive or not, rear gear options???
E. Good Points: Good power, smooth ride, good 2" towing receiver, fair Int. layout.

2. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> choice and basically all good except no towing package.
A. It appears the Jeep Limited has a towing package but the cost of other un-wanted accessories?
B. Eng. Looks related to V6 in Explored, good power, overdrive, good ride (with rear coils).

3. The Explorer was my 3<SUP>rd</SUP> choice (to compare the Independent Rear Suspension, ride, noise, and power.
A. The IRS w/n noisy but noisier int., good power/overdrive, low towing pack w/o 2"towing receiver.
B. Appears to be the least expensive.

I doubt I値l find it all in one low end/cost vehicle and will have to make some choices and move on???

Did you have personal experiences with Explorer or IRS or like solid rear-ends as I do?

Thanks For Any Help In Advance! JOW