S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Head Gasket Leak?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Gasket Leak?

ok so where is the deal...I have an 01 s-10 with the 2.2 and I am thinking that i have a head gasket leak.
Here is what has been happening almost everytimewhen i am driving i get the smell of anitfreeze burning but only once in a while i actually see any smoke. When there is smoke it is white and only a little. When looking at the engine the smoke seems to come from the right side of the engine near where the spark plug wires are. I know that when a head gasket usally leaks there is antifreeze in the oil and there is usually a puddle of antifreeze under the car but the oil is clean and there is no antifreeze on the ground.
so my question is is this a head gasket leak...if not what else could it be?
thanks in advance
Doug
Old April 21st, 2008, 3:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Head Gasket Leak?

These motors usually leak in 1 spot first before it leads to burning antifreeze. And it isuaully minor at first then progressively gets worse.

They almost always starting leaking at the rear corner of the motor, near the tranny, spark plug side. They usually will just start to leave a stain, white chaulky stuff, and you may be able to smell it once and a while. Where the head gasket usually fail, there are no oil galleries nearby, so it usually just leaks externally, or burns it.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Head Gasket Leak?

thanks for the info i took a little closer look and i deffinately have some work ahead of me this week. I have some free time like 3 days and i know my valve cover is leaking and since i have to fix that i am going to pull the head and take a look