S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

interior lights staying on, draning battery

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2013, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights staying on, draning battery

Hey yall, got a 97 S10 4.3L. I got it last year from a family member. Well to make a long story short it didnt have a radio when i got it. i bought an aftermarket radio and hardwired it into the truck. ever since i can remember i did that my interior lights were staying on. i have done some other work on it as well so that may not be the problem but im not sure. I had to pull the fuse cause it was drainging my battery. i have taken apart the dimmer/light switch and cleaned it and it all looked good. The 2 door switches havent been tampered with. I dont know whats going on. it would be nice to have lights at night though. Please help. note this is only interior. exterior lights work fine.
Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2013, 8:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

If it started doing it when you hardwired the radio, then retrace your steps, some wire must have been connected wrong. Check the door switches also, just because they haven't been tampered with doesn't mean they are good. One of them could be bad.
Old January 9th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Ok I'll take a look at that first and get back with you. Thanks
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

If it started right after you did the stereo then I would uninstall it and see if it fixes is.. I have seen some strange issues with I believe they are both orange wires, one is a dimmer wire and one has something to do with the lights. If you have orange wires connected disconnect them and see if that works. your should have a red 12Volt when key is turned on, a yellow for your battery 12 volt constant power for your memory in you aftermaket head unit.a black for ground. other than that they are all speaker wires. most the time 2x white 2x grey 2x purple and 2x green and a blur wire for a power antenna or to an amplifier. Every time I have seen a door switch go bad the light wouldnt come on when the door was open. could have just been dumb luck that way tho.