S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Intermittent MIL Warning

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2009, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent MIL Warning

Hello,

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer (4wd, automatic). It just failed the state safety inspection because the "check engine soon" lamp didn't come on while turning the key (but not going so far as to start the engine). I checked all the fuses inside the dash, and they all looked fine. While I was doing this, I noticed the MIL lamp did come on while turning the key to the middle position. I began to think the tech was seeing things (or not seeing things), but then I figured this out--if the car sets for a while, the MIL will appear while semi-turning the key. If you then start the engine, stop the engine, and then try to semi-turn the key (apologies for not knowing the right term), the MIL fails to appear.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? The lamp bulb isn't the issue, as it does light up if the engine hasn't been started recently. Also, the tech said there aren't any problem codes registering on the vehicle.

Thanks for any thoughts!

UPDATE: I have more details.

If you start the car, then shut it off, and then partially turn the key on (no engine) in less that 8 seconds, no (test) MIL light appears.

If you wait for 8 seconds or more after starting the car, the MIL test light turns on with a partial (non-engine starting) turn of the key.

Is there anything I can do to reduce/solve this little issue so that I can pass my state inspection? Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Last edited by txchevy; August 24th, 2009 at 5:34 PM.