S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Leaf Springs help

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaf Springs help

My leaf spring shackles rusted off. So I have finally got the old bushings out and got shackles on. The problem is one of the springs were so rusted the whole eye came off. The issue now is I had a blazer that I took a leaf spring off of. The leaf spring is higher then my original one I was able to salvage. Is there anything or way this will work. Please any advice would be great. Pictures included.

This is the spring from the blazer.

And my original spring

Left is from blazer. Right is my original.
Old January 31st, 2019, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Just An idea. U could remove some of the spring pack from the blazer spring or get drop shackles for the original. Also how do i make a new post��
Old January 31st, 2019, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

I'm new here but click on post new.
Old January 31st, 2019, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

They both have same number of packs.
Old February 1st, 2019, 7:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It looks like in the picture that the one on the right side has an extra piece between the axle and the spring. probably the mount for the shock. Are the 2 springs the same length?
Old February 8th, 2019, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Can you get the other spring off your donor Blazer so you would have a matched set?
Old March 23rd, 2019, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a bit late with my reply, but it looks like you are doing some quite extensive work there with the body off and all so maybe it's still in progress.

What it looks like to me is you either have a 4-door and the spring is off a 2 door or vice-versa or ZR2 versus non ZR2
For others visiting the extra piece between the spring and the axle on the right in the pic is part of the clamp and belongs below the spring.

The answer to the question of can this work in short I don't recommend it. the axle will not have enough room to travel between the spring and the frame. It can work with lift shackles and both the same springs, but may handle different.

While I am here I will leave another tip for those who find this. Those shackles are expensive ($100 each or $200 total in my area) especially for a vehicle of this age which may be nearing it's end of life. I have installed a cheap shackle lift kit ($20) available at most auto parts stores. In the case of Blazers/Jimmy/Bravada/s-10/Sonoma etc if no lift is desired install the kit upside down using the top 2 holes, however you should know that at 1 inch of lift most are returned to their factory ride height compensating for spring sag. I work in a scrap yard and I see a lot of these being scrapped with the biggest complaint being the shackles rotted and they don't want to put the money in it to fix it OE. Even if ya don't want it fixed like this, fix it like this, and sell it. Tell the buyer, I know from experience there are a lot of people wont mind this repair.