S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

leaking fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2008, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking fuel tank

Have a 98 s10 4 cyl 2.2. It has 180,000 miles on it, the fuel tank is leaking and my mechanic wants to put a whole new fuel system in ( tank,pump,ect the whole 9 yards) he is quoting me 900$$. I dont want to put that kinda money into it at this age. Would it be smart just to replace the tank? replace the tank and pump ? if I find the parts myself andtake itto a mechanic, how many hours of labor should I expect? should I buy a salvaged tank?? like I said, I dont wanna put a whole new system, but would like to eake out another year on this vehicle.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old March 8th, 2008, 3:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: leaking fuel tank

i would no reccomend a salvage tank. most of the time there is a lot of rust and crap that needs to be cleaned out of there before they can even be used. by that time you would be better off just buying a new tank. if only your tank is leaking and the fuel pump and the rest of the system are still good then there is no need to replace the entire fuel system. if you take it to a mechanic to have it done just to replace a gas tank you are looking at around 1.5 hours of labor. i am not sure what the labor rate is around where you live, near me going rate is $85/hr, so you would be looking at around 150 for labor