S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice.

I am a twenty year old college student and currently ride around in a 1972 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 and am looking to switch vehicles. One reason for this is that of gas prices, I simply cannot afford it anymore and my current vehicle is a contrast to a new lifestyle Im taking over so it has to go (Though its an awesome truck)! I had decided I wanted a motorcycle for various reasons, however I live in Oregon and it rains eight months out of the year basically. Then I decided a small import car would suit me best, but it wouldnt because trucks are so versatile and I like going to the beach and what not, so this is what I've settled on.

Over the past couple weeks I've been going over Rangers, S10s and Tacomas and havnt really been able to draw a real conclusion as to what to do. Basically what I've gotten out of this is that...
Rangers tend to be cheaper, but have substantial transfer case/transmission problems.
S10s tend to be adequately priced, but have engine problems along with transmission.
Tacomas were on average a couple thousand dollars more, and were centered on clutch and transmission problems.

With that having been said what Im hoping for is an honest, unbiased, knowledgable tidbit on what my best route would be. So far Im leaning towards the S10 because between price and problems (And I like the 1994-2004 body style(s) the most), its right in the middle of the three... however all I seem toread aboutare bad things about them. I've had bad experiences with every vehicle I've owned (My '72 truck being the least of them) and am trying to quit picking them off the lemon tree!

EDIT: I suppose I should mention what I've specifically been looking at... 1994-2004 Chevrolet S10 - 2.2L (I hear theyre junk with no power? I know its a four cylinder!) - Manual Transmission (Havnt yet made up my mind on a four or five speed) - Also havnt decided on a 4x2 or a 4x4 (Depends on if the engine could handle the beach and mileage)

Thanks in advance.
Old February 19th, 2008, 3:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Looking for advice.

The 2.2L has a lack of power. Thats a fact. The 4.3L S10s average only about 1-2 mpg less than the 2.2L. you won't have many tranny problems unless you get one thats done a lot of pulling. My advice is to get a 2000-2004 S10 that has less than 100,000 miles. Get one with few power options. Just AC, CD, power locks/windows and keyless. The manual trans S10s are a little harder to get your hands on.
Don't be alarmed if you get a knock on a cold start. That comes standard with most vortecs and its not really anything to worry about.