S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

More No start

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2021 | 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default More No start

'94 s-10 4 cyl. won't start. the fuel pump comes on but there's no spark and no starter. I suspect maybe the starter relay, can someone tell me where it is and maybe how to test it? I jumped the starter and it turns over fine.

thanks
Old January 16th, 2021 | 5:08 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Mous
'94 s-10 4 cyl. won't start. the fuel pump comes on but there's no spark and no starter. I suspect maybe the starter relay, can someone tell me where it is and maybe how to test it? I jumped the starter and it turns over fine.

thanks
Have you checked the battery yet?
Old January 16th, 2021 | 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

yes, the battery's good. like I said, it turns over fine with a jump wire (directly from the battery to the ignition terminal on the starter).
Old January 16th, 2021 | 3:24 PM
CF Monarch

yes, the battery's good. like I said, it turns over fine with a jump wire (directly from the battery to the ignition terminal on the starter).
I read it won't crank from the ignition switch. It could also be the starter solenoid. I have an issue sometimes with mine doing the same thing. I carry a screwdriver to jump the solenoid if it won't crank. Not saying you should do this, but when my car won't crank, I turn the key switch on, and jump across the solenoid with the screwdriver.
Old January 16th, 2021 | 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Kevinkpk: it turns over the way it's supposed to with a hot wire to the ignition terminal on the starter. yes it's true it won't crank from the ignition switch but there's also no spark. I took out the switch and it seems to be ok. Does anyone know what those 2 circuits (starter & coil) have in common? I'm guessing a relay or fuse maybe(?). maybe something before the juice gets to the key switch? another forum says there's a relay on the back of the fuse panel (which I haven't opened yet), but it's not shown on Chiltons wiring diagram. Same post (2007) says to [paraphrase] "hot wire the yellow wire on the ignition switch module and the key will work like it should" (in his case). I haven't tried that either, does anyone know where the yellow wire goes?

Last edited by Mous; January 16th, 2021 at 7:53 PM.
Old January 16th, 2021 | 7:04 PM
CF Veteran

Will it not start with key on and starter jumped? That's when you get no spark?
Old January 16th, 2021 | 7:06 PM
CF Monarch

Hi Kevinkpk: it turns over the way it's supposed to with a hot wire to the ignition terminal on the starter. yes it's true it won't crank from the ignition switch but there's also no spark. I took out the switch and it seems to be ok. Does anyone know what those 2 circuits have in common? I'm guessing a relay or fuse maybe(?). maybe something before the juice gets to the key switch? Chiltons manual says there's a relay on the back of the fuse panel which I haven't opened yet, but it's not shown on the wiring diagram.
Correct first thing first. resolve the issue with no crank from the ignition switch. I do not have an electrical schematic for your truck, if you have a voltmeter, and a friend, I would suggest with voltmeter at the starter solenoid, have friend try to start it , if you have voltage, go from there with a bad solenoid, if not, I'd look at the ignition switch. It may look good, but you don't know, hence this tutorial. I don't know if there is a starter relay for your truck, I would think it would not have, but I have been wrong before. Checking for battery voltage at the solenoid is the first step.
Old January 16th, 2021 | 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

the starter turns and engages wonderfully when I jump the starter ignition terminal from the battery. It's totally NOT THE STARTER. the problem is (I think) between the key and the battery. Part of the problem is it's been raining and the truck is in someones muddy driveway 4 miles away and they want it gone (but politely). So I need a plan before I go over there & can't just mess w/ it like I could in my shop.

Last edited by Mous; January 16th, 2021 at 7:54 PM.
Old January 17th, 2021 | 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Will it not start with key on and starter jumped? That's when you get no spark?
yes, that's what happens.
Old January 17th, 2021 | 2:01 PM
CF Monarch

the starter turns and engages wonderfully when I jump the starter ignition terminal from the battery. It's totally NOT THE STARTER. the problem is (I think) between the key and the battery. Part of the problem is it's been raining and the truck is in someones muddy driveway 4 miles away and they want it gone (but politely). So I need a plan before I go over there & can't just mess w/ it like I could in my shop.
Again, I'm not suggesting you try this, but if it were me, I'd turn the key on, and jump the starter see if it will start.

Quick Reply: More No start