S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

more power for 94' S10

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2006, 3:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more power for 94' S10

Hey guys, I haven't been here in awhile but as a recap. I have a 94 s10 4.3 4X4 extra cab, that I use for pulling my 18' ranger boat, and playing in the mud and snow.

I have already upgraded the exhaust with a 2.5" catback and magna flow system, and I am also running K&N filters.

are there any other basic mod's I can squeeze some power and gas mileage out of?

what is the prefered chip upgrades if any for a 94 s10?

She pulls the boat ok, but some of the hills it strains.. loud aux fan and barely maintains 60ish...

thanks
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: more power for 94' S10

Call Summit and ask them.
1-800-230-3030
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

i ould try a ignition upgrade like new better plugs wires cap roter. the stronger the spark the better its going to pull. hope this helps.
Old July 18th, 2006, 3:36 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: Nomad76lj

i ould try a ignition upgrade like new better plugs wires cap roter. the stronger the spark the better its going to pull. hope this helps.

Good suggestion, I did pretty close to that already as well. Gave it a 100k tune-up and replaced plugs and wires (some minor arching going on) went with the upgrade option my mechanic offered, with the filters.

I will check out summit as well

thanks
Old July 23rd, 2006, 4:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see if I had my choice I would go with some under drive pulleys. Then an electric fan swap. A popular choice for the s-10 is electric fans from the ford taurus. The flow more cfm than any kit on the market and I think the pull less amps too.

Also I saw you already upgraded the exhaust from the cat-back. But the biggest restriction is the y-pipe. It's tiny. SLP used to make a y-pipe but they stopped making them so you got a couple choices. Try and find an SLP one somewhere, have an exhaust shop make you a new one, or edelbrock makes one but it also comes with headers so the prices is higher. But you get headers. The headers arn't going to do much since factory manifolds flow fine for what little mods you have. They don't really start hurting until you start getting deep in the motor.

Also since it's TBI I would suggest a throttle body spacer. I don't recomend them on anything other than TBI/Carb setups. Also I'm sure you have seen K/N intake kits and stuff like that but stay away from those. Their over priced. Go look on ebay and you will find ones going from like 40 bucks and includes and k/n airfilter. They just as good as a k/n for 1/8 of the price but don't expect huge gains from it any cold air intake.

Now if you want to up the power a good bit and go into the motor some then definatly look into a cam. Hands down it's the best bang for buck when it comes to power. They are harder to put in though so I'm not sure what your mechanical skill is or if this is a daily driver that can't be torn down for some time.
Old July 24th, 2006, 1:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Underdrive pulleys are good but unless you need to spin your alt or something else faster to keep up they won't give you a whole lot of power.
I would suggest a mild cam. It will give you power, and still be streetable. You will use some more gas though.
Old July 24th, 2006, 1:45 PM
CF Active Member

Well if you get the right set then it should come with a crank pulley and then a smaller alt. pulley to compensate to keep it up to speed.
Old July 24th, 2006, 2:48 PM
CF Active Member

All good ideas, Appreciate the detailed response. I am going to investigate the SLP and fan. already have k&N filters, agree air intakes not much gain for the money.
Old July 24th, 2006, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

Yea, your gonna be lucky if you can find a SLP y-pipe. More than likely your best bet is to go with the edelbrock setup with the headers and the y-pipe.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM
CF Active Member

I think I can have the guy who did the magna flow and cat back, make a custom SLP, using the stock headers to start. like I said its got ok power and pulls the boat well. I think the cooling is what I am more focused on at this point as well. I have my ////AMG for the track! the truck is my work horse weekender

Quick Reply: more power for 94' S10