S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Please! 2000 S-10 2.2L, will not start when cold.

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2018, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please! 2000 S-10 2.2L, will not start when cold.

My S-10 may or may not start once it gets down to about 10 degrees.

The check engine light is normally on. The codes are smog related but I don't remember exactly. I had them checked a while back.

Here is the unique part, with the engine off, key on, the idiot lights are all on like normal, including the check engine light. But, when I crank the engine, if the "check engine" light stays on, it starts. But, if I start to crank the engine and the "check engine" light goes off (while cranking), then it will not start. It cranks fine but does not have spark or fuel. Until the "check engine" light comes on, then it starts immediately.

I keep trying it over and over. Then when the light comes on, it fires right up. And continues to run fine. The colder it is, the worse the problem. When it gets close to 0 degrees then it may not start no matter what I do. Unless, I put a blow dryer under the hood for 20 min or so. Then it will usually start. Please give me some ideas.
Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2018, 5:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Crank, or not start? If it cranks, but won't start, right now put some heet in the fuel system as a start.
Old October 15th, 2018, 5:57 PM
CF Senior Member

What about checking power supply, battery to starter,starter to ignition and fuse box,easy way?when all is good,start wiggling those harness wires till it quits
Old October 15th, 2018, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

I have had this same problem for the 9 years that I have owned it. During that time I have change the battery, and starter. I have pulled the transmission out to change the clutch as well. And I have also changed the alternator. But every winter, such as this morning, (13 degrees). The same problem comes back. Thanks for your ideas.
Old October 15th, 2018, 7:03 PM
CF Senior Member

A power feed wire under tension?a lower temp. it's contracting?and sometimes changing a starter,just moving a wire,that's compromised,will totally fail