S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Putting in a clutch

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2008, 4:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting in a clutch

Hi, just joined and looking for some advice. I have a 1989 S-10 Blazer, 4.3L, 4x4, automatic. I was wondering how hard it would be to put a clutch in that. I'm getting ready to overhaul the engine this summer and maybe shift kit the tranny. I've got some lifters sticking when i first start it up and maybe a rod knock so its getting tore down. I was just wondering if i could put a clutch in while i had everything out, or is it even worth it? Thanks in advance.
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:05 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Putting in a clutch

worth every penny. If you are going through the labour of removing the engine, it will take all of about 45mins to replace the clutch. If you get a rebuilt, not only are they fairly cheap, but most come with the tool needed to center the clutch when you bolt the pressure plate back on.
Old March 8th, 2008, 4:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is an auto or manual? if it is auto there is no clutch. are you wanting to go from auto to manual?
Old March 10th, 2008, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has the 700-R4 in it and i'd like to convert it to manual.
Old March 10th, 2008, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok. you can pick a decent 5 speed almost anywhere. as far a putting in the clutch setup the easiest way to do it and cheapest would be to go to a salvage yard and pick up all the parts you need as far as clutch pedal, linkage, and resvoir and slave cylinder go. the problem comes in that most 5 speeds or manual trans around those years where a hydrualic setup. you will have to run hydrualic lines and drill a hole in the firewall to run the plunger for the resevoir.cable type set up were a little more rare to find but if you can find one it would be much easier to setup. you will also have to get a flywheel and new clutch and pressure plate. i would save time and money in the long run by buying a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate.