S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Question on an engine swap

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2006, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on an engine swap

Hey everybody, I wanna swap out my 2.2L for a Vortec 4.3L V6. Will the computer recongize this engine or will i need to replace the whole computer system. Also, will i need to get a new transmission if i put the Vortec in? If this wont work I appreciate any other engine ideas for my truck. I want something with a little more power but i dont want it to be a huge gas hog. Thanks for all the help.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Question on an engine swap

if your going to replace the engine in your truck i would get a doner truck with the 4.3 in it cuse you will need all the wiring tranny and i think the motor mounts as well as the tranny i think and also the rad from the donur truck as well. if you get a truck with all that stuff in it it should make the swap cheaper.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM
CF Senior Member

You are right.
It is cheapest to change engine size if you find a cheap pickup. You will have everytihng you need in that pickup.
What year is your pickup? You said you want a vortec. I will assume that your's has a throttle body.
Your best bet would be to get a donor.
You may have to geta drive shaft made I dobut it though.
good luck
Old July 22nd, 2006, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Just curious, it seems like for the cost of a vortec and/or doner truck. you could probably pickup a decent (newer model) 90's + with it already in.

my 94 s10 4X4 4.3 is only max worth like $5k if I remember KBB? you could probably picksomething up in the auto trader for a few k. you may have your own reasons for upgrading so just a suggestion

Old July 22nd, 2006, 9:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Anytime you start to tear down something to change it you will end up spending money.
However I would agree with dragonrpc if you just want something to drive around town or pull something small you would be better off just getting a completely new pickup.
That is a lot of stuff to change and if you don't get it off a donor truck you will have to scavange it or buy it new. Either way it will not be very cheap.