S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

is this right? [trans. video]

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2009, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this right? [trans. video]

ill keep it breif...

basically ive been driving around on an un-balanced drive shaft for the past half year or so. it hasnt been that bad untill now so i decided to take the draive shaft off the truck. (u-joint needs replacing, shafts need balancing)

while i had the shaft out i put the truck in drive and let it idle while i took a look into the transmission. what i saw was -whatever that shaft inside the transmission is?- spinning with a slight wobble. i dont know if that part is supposed to spin completely smoothly or if this minor wobble is normal, and thast my question... is that wobble normall or do i need to pull the transmission out ???

here's a couple videos...

Old November 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

What Trans.do you have?
Old November 11th, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

the truck is a 2003 chevy s10 ls with a vortex v6, i dont how many different kinds of transmissions with that model, but thats all!
Old November 11th, 2009, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

I didn't watch the video but I can tell you for sure that running the tranny without a yoke in the tailshaft bearing will let the tailshaft wobble. The yoke in the sleeve bearing is the outer(rear) support for that shaft. It won't wobble with the yoke in place but you won't be able to see that.
Bob
Old November 12th, 2009, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

thanks bob,

when i was at the drive train shop getting my u joint repaired this afternoon they also told me that that inner shaft will wobble like that and that its normal. my next door neighbor, who is a mechanic also told me that same thing.

i was worried that i might have a transmission problem that was causing the vibrations in my drive shaft? the things is this; last time i had a u-joint fixed and had my shafts balanced, the shafts still vibrated. at first i thought that the drive train place just did a crappy job, but for some reason i never actually called them on it like i should have. well the shaft started vibrating more and more untill tuesday when that u-joint failed. i got to thinking that maybe they did balance everything right, and that maybe from diving on a vibrating shaft for so long i may have screwed up something in the transmission? either that or maybe i installed the shaft wrong? now im not saying that im beyond making a mistake, but installing the shaft is pretty easy and its something that ive done before with no problem, there's really only one way to do it...

my neighbor was telling me that i might have to tighten or replace the mount that holds up the transmission? i checked that mount tonight and it looks pretty torn up! part of the rubber is ripped and that same rubber seems to compressed about 1/4"-3/8" from where its supposed to be. i dont know if thats a problem or not but i do want to replace it. unfortunatly i dont know what its called so im not sure what to ask for??
Old November 14th, 2009, 8:05 PM
CF Junior Member

That would be a transmission mount. Did you have the u joints installed or did you do them yourself?
Bob