S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Rough idle problems

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle problems

Hey guys I’m new here but I have a pretty simple question to start off with.

So I have a 95 S10 it’s an in between model so a lot of 94 parts work on it but it has 240,XXX + miles on it and I have recently did a tune up new plugs and new oil. Well for the past few days it’s been riding well strange it would be fine on start up and then every stop sign or stop light it would start to idle rough and would putter when given gas so I figured it was a throttle body issue because we have had problems with carbon build up before.

So today I took the TB off cleaned it up and took the IAC valve off so I can clean it and the passage ways well I broke the gasket but I punched my own and I’m fairly confident its pretty close if not better than the original.

Well when I fired it up I noticed it was idling at 1,500 RPM I know that before when it kept bogging down it idles at 700 RPM and I’m not sure what its normal idle RPM was since its been running fine for the past few days.

I thought 1,5000 was a bit much for an IDLE RPM and I then noticed wow the truck is much much louder so I tried to listen for any vacuum leaks but nothing so I was curious got in the truck put it reverse and it jumped and the RPM’s went to 1,000 a bit more normal then went to N and jumped again and the RPM’s jumped back to 1,500 went to D and again a decrease in RPM and the truck jumped at that moment I put it back into Park and shut it off and found this place.

I’m not sure if the IAC could be causing this or not or what I would of changed to cause the increase and decrease in RPM from just changing gear also I should add that one of the plugs on the Dizzy had popped off so now I’m wondering if the first problem could have been caused by that I made sure it was on secure this time and checked all the others but still having the rough idle now so any help or suggestions would be great.
Old April 11th, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Junior Member

get a can of carb or throttle body cleaner and spray where the TB and mainfold meets....if u hear a change of RPMs then thats where your leak is coming from! also check vacuum hoses for dry-rot and cracks! thats the number one cause of an leak these days have u tried adjusting the idle and see if u still get a rough idle?
Old April 11th, 2010, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I have not tried to adjust idle yet I have been painting the baby room today lol. But I will check that and your TB manifold idea. I did put a new gasket on but you never know. Do you know what the 3 bolts on the TB are supposed to be torque to? I wasn’t sure so I just got them somewhat tight with a ratchet didn’t want to do too much. Also my main concern is the major difference in RPM from being in a drive gear compared to a neutral or parker gear

I mean 500 RPM difference between park and drive is that right? What is a reasonable idle RPM for these trucks 1,000?

I know that the hose from the PCV to the TB is cracked where it meets the TB but it’s not that bad and I didn’t feel a lot of air leaking from around it also the hose that connects to the TB spacer (not sure what it’s called) it’s on the back of the TB is the same way still nothing definitive. And I do plan on replacing these before too long.

I haven’t had this truck long I traded with my step dad my car for his truck so how do I adjust the idle on this bad boy? My car was just a turn of a bolt but I haven’t really paid much attention to the truck.

I haven’t drove it yet because like I said I have been painting all day but I think my main concern is obviously the high idle at 1,500 RPM, the mass decrease in idle from park to drive, and the kick in the truck when changing gears which I will blame on the decrease in idle RPM’s since it didn’t kick so bad before.
Old April 11th, 2010, 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Well i just went out thhere and my GF noticed smoke as i hit the gas i lookedand something was dripping on the exhause so ill lift it in about an hr and figure out what bodily fluid my truck is leaking and see if that might cause this problem somehow.
Old April 11th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Well looks like it might be tranny fluid and it’s probably going to be time to change the tranny filter and out a new gasket on. There are about 4 bolts loose around one corner of the tranny pan that would cause the jump from gear changes and im going to also make that be the issue with smoking but the question is why now lol. Im going to have to torque them back down and keep that into consideration for later when I have more money.
Old April 11th, 2010, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Does any one know the torque setting for the tranmition pan?