S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

serpentine tensioner

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2007, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine tensioner

Hi I just replaced the water pump on my daughters 91 S10 and that was easy but my trouble now is the serpentine belt. I cant seem to get the tensioner correct and when it seems as if I may be close there is no way for the belt to go on. I made the mistake I believe of taking the tensioner off and of course it just came apart. Didnt think it was that big a deal until now. It is the 4.3 v6. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old October 2nd, 2007, 3:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: serpentine tensioner

hello, if you took the tensioner off by the block / mount that had a long bolt, it sounds like the spring and retainer fell off? there should be a c spring with asmall tab sticking out that lines up with a small hole
on the block / mount. slide the bolt back thruw the tensioner to aline spring and retainer back up.
once you bolt the tensioner down it should point slightly to the left and downward with no tension on it,
most stock tensioners have a 3/8 ratchet slot in it to release the tension on the belt. its a little tricky
you push down on the ratchet, and you fill resistance in the tensioner.. the belt loops under the tensioner wheel, when you lift an ease off the ratchet the tensioner gose back down and puts pressure on the belt.
i would look near the front of the radiator housing for diagram on how to install the belt and suggest a haynes manual .