S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

shift problem

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2010, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy shift problem

my service engine light came on ,had test ran ,came back 3or 4 shift problems,took to a mechanic ,he advised me that he checked all the solnoids and that they were good,he now believes it is the computer.......my question is ,does a 97 computer need to reprogrammed? also my ignition has been acting up,alot of times i can,t get my key out,and have to unhook batt could this ignition problem be causing my trasmission problems

Last edited by tabowhunter; March 28th, 2010 at 8:54 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 2:47 PM
CF Junior Member

how many miles are on this transmission?
Old April 8th, 2010, 6:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is in the years when GM had problems with the ignition switch dropping off the trans circuit. Yes the computer needs to be programed. I have never seen one replace for a trans problem.
Old April 9th, 2010, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Mdtahoe your right it was not the computer,i am 99 percent sure thats its the switch,I took cover off bottom of steering wheel and whenever i start my truck,put it in drive and it doesnt go into low,all i have to do is turn it off ,wiggle key around until it comes out of keyhole(whenever it doesnt shift the key won,t come out) start it ,and it works a new one,and it won,t mess up while i,m driveing,i believe i could drive all day problem free ,until i mess with the switch by turning it off. thanks for responding ,i will let you know if it was swith
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

110 thousand changed fluid and filter pan was clean no shaving at all on magnet
Old April 9th, 2010, 5:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The portion that the key goes into is not the ignition switch. The ignition switch is the electrical portion. The key goes into the ignition lock cylinder.
Old April 9th, 2010, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

is the switch what i need to change? if so does the steering column need to come off?
Old April 10th, 2010, 6:27 AM
CF Junior Member

steering colum shouldnt have to come off maybe the steering wheel tho and the plastic pieces be sure to un hook the battery so the airbags dont deploy
Old April 18th, 2010, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

changed the switch,and it run's great! thanks everybody for your responses
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

I've got to say these forums are wonderful help for people troubleshooting problems. I also had problems with the transmission and and unable to remove the key. So we started troubleshooting and changed the solenoids - still had the problem. Changed the key cylinder out because it was hard to remove the key - still had the problem. Found this site and searched for the problem. Changed the switch and took it on an extended test flight and seems to run great now. It's really weird that they would tie the ignition switch to the transmission, but who knows what goes through the engineers minds. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: shift problem