S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Starter problems, engine crank spark disabled

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2016, 7:53 AM
JRS
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems, engine crank spark disabled

I picked up a mechanics special, not running right. Tried to check timing, noticed that harmonic balancer has TWO scribe lines in it, how are we supposed to know which one is to be used to verify Top Dead Center ?

Second question while doing this disabled ignition to bump starter and turn over engine, forgot to disable fuel pump. If I did this thru the process maybe 8 or 10 engine revolutions, would significant fuel be put into cylinders ? I had it running a day ago, it sounded like only hitting on 3 or 4 cylinders but after bump checking TDC my starter is having trouble and it spits and sputters not running by itself, I may have damaged the starter yet again ....

Short of pulling the engine which I may need to do, any suggestions ? Does it happen on ocassion the timing chain or gears getting out of time ? It almost sounds like a distributor off 180 degrees or something close to that ....