S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Sudden valve chatter/loss of oil pressure (?)

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2017, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden valve chatter/loss of oil pressure (?)

Hi! Just bought an '88 GMC s15 with a 2.8L V6. It has run beautifully for the two weeks I've had it...very strong and not leaking any oil. When getting off the freeway tonight though, all of a sudden I heard the chattering of the valves like they were not getting oil. I made the turn off the freeway and the engine shut off. I waited a couple minutes and turned the engine back on, and drove it just enough to get it out of the road and into a grocery store parking lot. I checked the oil and it was completely full.

Any ideas? Again, this happened SUDDENLY with no indication of anything starting to go wrong previously. Thanks for the help!
Old June 9th, 2017, 7:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Does the oil pressure gauge read very low? Was the oil pressure good when you first bought it? Did it drop from good oil pressure gradually or just go from good to bad all at once?
Old June 9th, 2017, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. The oil pressure gauge is actually buried at the TOP, so I assume it is not working. Again, it has ran perfectly for about 300 miles over the last couple weeks, and the valve chatter happened pretty suddenly. Hopefully this helps...let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!