S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Two mystery plugs and no clutch

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2019, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two mystery plugs and no clutch

I have a 98 2 door that has been converted to a 5 speed. Last week after the wife drove it the night before, it revs unstoppablely and there is a blsck 2 wire plug ( green w/white stripe and black ) and a green 2 wire plug hanging down by the clutch pedal. Rotted vacuum hose replacement fixed the revving. But now the clutch doesn't work at all. It will move if it's in gear when I try to start it and when running grinds if I try to shift even with clutch pushed all the way in. Are the unplugged wires and clutch related? Where do they plug in? The column? Clutch position switch? Any help greatly appreciated
Old December 21st, 2019, 9:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey Lyon
I have a 98 2 door that has been converted to a 5 speed. Last week after the wife drove it the night before, it revs unstoppablely and there is a blsck 2 wire plug ( green w/white stripe and black ) and a green 2 wire plug hanging down by the clutch pedal. Rotted vacuum hose replacement fixed the revving. But now the clutch doesn't work at all. It will move if it's in gear when I try to start it and when running grinds if I try to shift even with clutch pushed all the way in. Are the unplugged wires and clutch related? Where do they plug in? The column? Clutch position switch? Any help greatly appreciated
I'l never understand the transmission swap auto to manual. The wires might be left over from the automatic. I'd do a flush of your clutch system.. Might be a bad MC or slave cylinder too. Don't keep grinding those gears until the clutch is working

Last edited by oilcanhenry; December 21st, 2019 at 9:55 AM.
Old December 21st, 2019, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your clutch is not controlled or monitored by any electronic device, so the mystery wires won't have any effect on it. Sounds like the hydraulic system has issues. If you really need to move it, you can start it with it in gear and can even shift to higher gears. Drove a 72 VW van for too many years to admit, and the 10 foot long clutch cable had a penchant for snapping at the most inopportune moments so I learned how to drive it with no clutch. It's not for the faint hearted however
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (December 23rd, 2019)
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Ricardo: Most truck drivers shift without the clutch, but these are non-synchronized transmissions. It can be hard on the brass syncro's on a light-vehicle transmission. At most in my K-1500 I'll pull it out of gear but use the clutch to engage the next speed or gear. Even for a professional driver like me, the syncho tyranny's are not as easy to shift without a clutch although I did so years ago when I was 500 miles away from home, and didn't wish to pay a tow-driver that much money for a busted clutch cable. Then again it was a F**d , not a Chevy, so what else can you expect?
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"F**d" ROFL! I'm sure it's bad for it to do that. I didn't know that about truckers being able to drive like that! Crazy skills. I remember watching my dad drive his old 52 Chevy dump truck with a Florida gear split rear end, that was some tricky stuff.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (December 27th, 2019)