S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Why would it lock up like this?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why would it lock up like this?

Ok, so I just got over the whole EGR problem with my 4.3. Was clogged with carbon causing my engine to run like it had a huge cam in it. While I was doing that i decided to take off the plenum and look at the fuel lines in there because I have heard of the common fuel leak in there as well. Sure enough there was a pin hole leaking fuel in there. Fixed that, replaced the gaskets, put all back together and it was running beautiful. After I go through all of this I decide to change the oil and brake pads, After I get done changing the oil and brake pads I take it out for a test drive, started a little hard but didnt really think anything of it, Im backing down the drive and the engine dies on me. I try to restart the engine and it rolls over about a turn and a half and locks up, I bumped the started a couple times and it rolled over again about another turn and locks up again. I understand engines pretty well but this one stumps me good. Any ideas/help?
Old January 15th, 2010, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Are you sure you fixed the fuel leak? It almost sounds hydolocked, the cylinders filled with liquid of some kind. We had one do that to us when we put a new carb on and hooked the fuel line to a vacuum port and filled it with gas.
Old January 15th, 2010, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cemmer
Are you sure you fixed the fuel leak? It almost sounds hydolocked, the cylinders filled with liquid of some kind. .
I second that. It is the most likely cause.
Old January 16th, 2010, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default You are life savers :-)

After taking your information I took the plenum back off to find I used the wrong kind of line, regular fuel line instead of fuel inj. line, which formed a leak. I changed the line, sucked out the gas, removed plugs and cleared cylinders, changed oil, and now it runs perfect once again. Thank you guys once again.
Old January 16th, 2010, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
After taking your information I took the plenum back off to find I used the wrong kind of line, regular fuel line instead of fuel inj. line, which formed a leak. .
How did you repair the line? Sounds like a bad repair. The only way to fix a leaking spider unit is to replace the leaking one with a new one. Anything else will continually fail.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

The first time i did do a bad repair. After having to go in a second time I spent a little more time making sure I did a much better job. It was not the spider pat that failed it was the main supply line (one of the big ones right next to what im assuming is a return line). Thanks for the help.