S10 & Blazer DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions pertaining to S10s and Blazers.

Misfires directly proportionate to how hard you accelerate.

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2017, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were You able to get your problem fixed? My S10 is having the exact same problem. Primarily the # 3 cylinder misfire and occasionally a #6 misfire. This problem was fixed about 2 years ago but it came back about 18 months ago. I have let it go till now because here in California we need to get the vehicle smogged every 2 years and it time to do it again. The last time around i replaced all the plugs/wires, cap/rotor, injectors, compression, etc. with no luck. Took it to my friends shop and he said the fuel pressure was barley readable it was so low. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine for 6 months before the misfires returned.

I just took it back to my friends shop and he said that everything checks out except the injectors. What sucks is the injector warranty from autozone was 1 year. Now the same part has a 3 year warranty. Bought the new injector spider and installed it yesterday and it ran great for 3 drives with no misfires and now they are back. I read on the FAQ/useful threads that someone with a 2.2 cyl said that only AC Delco injectors worked with no problem. The aftermarket ones caused a misfire. The one that I bought was from Sorensen. If the new injectors are good I'm thinking that one of the #3 injector line and the # 6 could be kinked. they are opposite each other and they need to tuck back in behind the other lines just right to get it bend around the bracket and fit in. For me I think those are my 2 possible culprits. It's either a kinked fuel injector line or it needs to be an ac delco. What do you guy's think?
Old July 5th, 2017, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodd Sullivan
Were You able to get your problem fixed? My S10 is having the exact same problem. Primarily the # 3 cylinder misfire and occasionally a #6 misfire. This problem was fixed about 2 years ago but it came back about 18 months ago. I have let it go till now because here in California we need to get the vehicle smogged every 2 years and it time to do it again. The last time around i replaced all the plugs/wires, cap/rotor, injectors, compression, etc. with no luck. Took it to my friends shop and he said the fuel pressure was barley readable it was so low. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran fine for 6 months before the misfires returned.

I just took it back to my friends shop and he said that everything checks out except the injectors. What sucks is the injector warranty from autozone was 1 year. Now the same part has a 3 year warranty. Bought the new injector spider and installed it yesterday and it ran great for 3 drives with no misfires and now they are back. I read on the FAQ/useful threads that someone with a 2.2 cyl said that only AC Delco injectors worked with no problem. The aftermarket ones caused a misfire. The one that I bought was from Sorensen. If the new injectors are good I'm thinking that one of the #3 injector line and the # 6 could be kinked. they are opposite each other and they need to tuck back in behind the other lines just right to get it bend around the bracket and fit in. For me I think those are my 2 possible culprits. It's either a kinked fuel injector line or it needs to be an ac delco. What do you guy's think?
I ended up resolving my issue by selling my truck. I never figured out my issue and neither has the new owner. I too purchased and installed AutoZone parts and then replaced the AutoZone parts with oem......no luck on my end. The oem parts had zero effect on correcting my misfire.
At the time I sold the truck I was tracing an electrical problem. The voltage to the fuel pump would drop 1 volt as the engine reached operating temperature. I.e. if the battery read 12.8v the pump would read 11.8v. If the engine was running and the alternator read 14.2v the pump would read 13.2v.
Early in the morning when the engine was cold the voltage at the pump would read whatever the battery or alternator was reading. Further more, fuel pressure when engine was cold would be around 58psi. Fuel pressure when engine was at operating temp was 44-48 psi.
I cleaned every ground wire I could find on a wiring diagram i have, no luck. I replaced the spider with an oem one from rockauto, no luck. Installed 3 different fuel pumps, no luck. Inspected the wiring from fuse box to fuel pump, made a few minor repairs, no luck. Sold my s10 for $2k and bought a new duramax. Now I have my weekends back. Best of luck!