S10 & Blazer DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions pertaining to S10s and Blazers.

Timing markers are confusing me 4.3

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2017, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing markers are confusing me 4.3

so i bought a 05 blazer and it was running rough, started to miss alot.changed plugs and fuel injector i noticed coolant was also dissapering, well during the injector swap i noticed the oil color was odd and comes to find out oil milky as hell, weather it be the head gasket or just the intake manifold gasket i decided to just change the entire upper half gasket set to be safe.
so now i have to change the head gasket, after changing the head gasket over the weekend i finnaly got it all back togeather ready to start, well i set timing markers on balencer to tdc then i placed the distrubuter in and for the life of me i couldnt get it to line up to the six, no matter how i did it lining up the dimples nothing. if the timing markers are lined up the dist would not line up no mattter what.
losing my mind, i decided to check the location of piston one, what do you know the timing markers show tdc but the piston is maybe half way through the compression stroke, by the time the piston is at actual tdc the timing markers are way off but the distubter will line up at 6.

so here is my delima, is it possible that the guy before me did somthing dumb took the balencer off and out it back on wrong? or am i doing this whole timing thing wrong? basically if i line up the timing markers to "TDC" the piston is still half through the stroke and the distubuter will not line up at all, but if i bring the piston to top dead center with out the timing markers (old school screwdriver down the spark plug hole) the piston is on TDC and the distrubter is were its suppose to be. I havent started it up yet its late and dont want to risk a crazy backfire or somthing or be really off on timing and bend a valve,

so the question really is, is using the old school line up trick a for sure in timing setting for this 4.3 or am i just using the timing markers wrong or somthing?

thank you all in advance,

ps. i know i should have marked it before i took it apart but its to late for that dont talk about it, im a tech and im pretty sure that the balencer is off, im really here for that reassurence or maybe learn somthing new.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 7:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The thing is keyed, it will only go on one way. If it's the proper HB, with the #1 at tdc, the scribe should be at top. You might want to be sure that #1 is at tdc compression, then check your mark.