Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

Engine cleaning (after) Post Yours!

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 1:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Engine cleaning (after) Post Yours!

On my 02 Tahoe...with about 99,500 miles...

Used this:

To achieve these results:

Let it set for about 20 minutes, then rinsed off entire engine using controlled bursts from my garden hose spray nozzle (med. spray setting). Then used Mothers Back-to-Black on plastic/vinyl components...and a touch of Armour-All.

Please share your experience with other products and/or techniques for getting your engine cleaned.

JP

Last edited by golf_ne_1; October 5th, 2009 at 1:27 PM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 8:05 PM
Site Moderator

Wow! That's looks awesome. Nice job. Did you prep at all for the cleaning, like covering the alternator or anything or did you just go at it. I have 2 cans of that stuff in my garage planning on doing that myself and wanted to know what should be covered if anything. I assume alternator, dist. cap, wiper motor, those sort of things.
Old October 5th, 2009, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks!

I didn't do any special prep or cover any electrical wires or connections...just made sure I didn't directly blast any of the electrical connections with GUNK. So basically, as you put it, just went at it! Hit the main engine block and other mechanical parts straight on full blast with cleaner, and allowed the overspray and "bounce-off" to coat all those critical components.

When I washed it down I did the same, took care around the wires and such by not shooting it with water. Used a wet rag to wipe down as I washed.

As soon as I finished washing it down I grabbed my leaf blower and went over the engine spending plenty of time at the elcetrical connections and plug-ins, and wires...blowing them clear of any residual GUNK and water.

Left the hood up in the sun for a good 40-50 minutes...cranked it...no issues.

JP
Old October 6th, 2009, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did that engine degreaser get dirt out? I'm having an issue getting the rubber hoses in my truck clean. Looks great though. You should see my before pic i posted a month ago. I'm still cleaning, just don't have time.
Old October 7th, 2009, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
did that engine degreaser get dirt out? I'm having an issue getting the rubber hoses in my truck clean.
I think the key, for me anyway, is letting it sit long enough to break down and loosen the grit and baked-on residual oils & such. The can said 10-15 minute soak time...I probably left it on for close to 30 minutes.

Upon rinsing, the majority of the soot and grime washed away, with some of the more testy places needing a wipe down. This included the hoses...had to wipe those down a few times.

JP
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows this stiff do with muddy water that was dried up..lol. i been needing to clean my engine bay for a year now.. but im afraid to get water in the ele. system.. then i wont have nothin to drive..
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Ride of the Month
May 2008

Location: Millbrook,Alabama...Slap dab in the middle of God's country

Before and after.
I really hate it when she works up a sweat.
But...she does work for beer.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Engine cleaning (after) Post Yours!-cleaning.jpg   Engine cleaning (after) Post Yours!-blueroadster-4.jpg  
Old January 29th, 2010, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Freshly bolted in!
Name:  P1000301.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  116.5 KB