Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Location of Water Drain Under Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2024, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of Water Drain Under Vehicle?

Where is the location of the water drainage pipes exit? I went under the car, but I can't seem to find them; my idea is to unclog from bottom to top.

I found wet floor on the driver seat, when I pour water on the sunroof channel it doesn't come out (if I do it on the passenger side it does). I already unclogged from top to bottom, through to sunroof drainage, but it didn't help that much....so I guess if I find the bottom exit under the car, I can try doing it bottom up.
Old April 29th, 2024, 8:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Without knowing specifically what year & model you drive, I can tell you what’s typical is the drains run down the A pillars and exit/drain inside the fender. You won’t be able to see it without a bore scope or - depending on the open area of the fender inside engine bay, you might see it with a flashlight.

The rear drains typically route to the nearest pillar (C or D) and drain through the bottom.

Generally, the easiest way to clear them is with compressed air from the top down. A few quick blasts is usually enough to push out the clog enough that water can drain again and flush the rest out - just be careful if doing this as older tubing doesn’t tend to handle high air pressure very well. Best to start with a regulated amount and slowly turn the dial up.

On some vehicles, I fit a length of 3/16” brake line to my air gun and was able to use that to get more direct pressure to the clog.

If you remove the A-pillar trim from the inside of the windshield, you will likely see the tube and can visually trace it to narrow down its location.

Use caution while removing the A-pillar trim if it’s equipped with side curtain airbags. Disconnect the battery negative cable and wait about 5 minutes to ensure the SIR module backup battery has discharged before removing anything.

Originally Posted by jccondep
Where is the location of the water drainage pipes exit? I went under the car, but I can't seem to find them; my idea is to unclog from bottom to top.

I found wet floor on the driver seat, when I pour water on the sunroof channel it doesn't come out (if I do it on the passenger side it does). I already unclogged from top to bottom, through to sunroof drainage, but it didn't help that much....so I guess if I find the bottom exit under the car, I can try doing it bottom up.
Old April 30th, 2024, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Without knowing specifically what year & model you drive, I can tell you what’s typical is the drains run down the A pillars and exit/drain inside the fender. You won’t be able to see it without a bore scope or - depending on the open area of the fender inside engine bay, you might see it with a flashlight.

The rear drains typically route to the nearest pillar (C or D) and drain through the bottom.

Generally, the easiest way to clear them is with compressed air from the top down. A few quick blasts is usually enough to push out the clog enough that water can drain again and flush the rest out - just be careful if doing this as older tubing doesn’t tend to handle high air pressure very well. Best to start with a regulated amount and slowly turn the dial up.

On some vehicles, I fit a length of 3/16” brake line to my air gun and was able to use that to get more direct pressure to the clog.

If you remove the A-pillar trim from the inside of the windshield, you will likely see the tube and can visually trace it to narrow down its location.

Use caution while removing the A-pillar trim if it’s equipped with side curtain airbags. Disconnect the battery negative cable and wait about 5 minutes to ensure the SIR module backup battery has discharged before removing anything.
Car is a 2021 Suburban; by any chance you have a diagram/picture that you can send? I'm specifically interested on the front driver area.
Old April 30th, 2024, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

This is all I could find - this is the front driver side drain from the firewall side.

To access it, you have to remove the windshield cowl and wiper motor/linkage assembly.

You can add a length of 5/16” ID tubing to the drains and route them directly into the cowl drains if necessary.