Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rain Water leaking into engine bay

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2019, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Water leaking into engine bay

Have noticed lately that whenever it rains heavily, I get water onto the base plate that sits on the driver side front in the engine bay. My understanding is that this base plate is used for an extra battery.

Took it to the local GM dealer (as it is under warranty being a '17 Suburban) and all that was done was to drill holes to drain away the rain water. Not what I expected. Before I go back to the dealer, I am wondering if anyone else has had this happened to their '15 to '18 Tahoe or Suburban.

Showing rain water on base plate (before dealer drilled holes)
Old July 25th, 2019, 2:32 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i would search for a TSB from GM about this issue, maybe Gm suggest drilling the hole but seams like its putting a band aid on another issue
Old July 25th, 2019, 5:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't see any issues here. The engine bay is not waterproof. When you drive in water and rain, the engine bay gets drenched with water. Water sitting on that plate is of no concern. The holes already stamped in the steel help remove the majority of the water.
Old July 25th, 2019, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for suggesting the TSB search. Just started to look at them and there are a lot to sort through!

Regarding the water entering: I only discovered the water when I opened the hood after some rain to change the OEM low-beam halogent bulbs to LEDs. Otherwise, would never have noticed as I suspect the water eventually evaporates due to engine heat.

Just wonder if as suggested, this water depositing could be a natural thing and therefore was asking if anyone else experienced this after a rain storm.

If so, and I want to keep the truck for a long time, and can't find a way to stop the water, then probably will have to keep the platform heavily waxed to prevent rusting. Already have painted the dealer's drilled holes to stop rust there.

The only non-stock thing I have done is install a Weatertech Hood Protector. Will also play around with a water hose myself to see where the water enters.
Old July 25th, 2019, 10:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a photo of the battery tray in my 2007 suburban with 292,000 miles. When it rains, water runs through the hole cut in the fender lip for the rubber bumper onto the tray. The 2017 has a similar setup but I think that fender hole is little further forward.

What I'd do it open the hood and run water down the fender channel and see where it's getting through. You can then try to seal it with silicone caulk but it's just going to drip on something else further down.