Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban Caliper Fail - Finger & Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2024, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2008 Suburban Caliper Fail - Finger & Pad Question

Right front caliper failed on way home from airport and heated things up quite a bit - drove about 40 miles before I noticed burning smell.

Went to Advance Autos to get new caliper and pads and they asked if the pads were vacuum or hydro boost and did the caliper need fingers. They said such info would be on a white label under the hood. Can't find it or any other info on what I should use.

Its a 2008 LT 5.3L Suburban

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Old May 3rd, 2024, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake questions

Originally Posted by tjo716
Right front caliper failed on way home from airport and heated things up quite a bit - drove about 40 miles before I noticed burning smell.

Went to Advance Autos to get new caliper and pads and they asked if the pads were vacuum or hydro boost and did the caliper need fingers. They said such info would be on a white label under the hood. Can't find it or any other info on what I should use.

Its a 2008 LT 5.3L Suburban

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
le

Hopefully u can find a parts counter person that is more knowledgeable. Vacuum or hyroboost don’t have anything to do with the pads but is the type of boost assist. All 1500 (1/2 ton) use a vacuum type booster the heavier suburbans (3/4 ton) have a different booster called a hydro boost —- as for the “fingers” I have never heard that term In 40 years in the business

Old May 4th, 2024, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the response and clarification ... much appreciated.

Found some info on he fingers below:

They are both comparible. The one with the the "fingers" push the pads (light spring action) away from the rotors when the brake pedal is released. You can/could use your old/existing "fingers" if they are in really good condition but it is not recommended. Beast to replace both the pads and the fingers.