Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 Suburban electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Suburban electrical issue

This truck has 190.000 miles on it. I bought it last Easter and drove it for a couple months without any problems. One day after driving it a number of times, I hopped in it and tried to start it. Nothing, Turn the key and nothing. Dash lights are on but starter does not engage. The next morning I tried and it started no problem. Drove it for a couple days until it happened again while at work. Just nothing, wont crank/start and nothing. I towed it to a shop and because they didn;t get to it for a week or so when they tried to start it. It popped right off. I told them thats what it does. they brought it in and couldnt find anything. Made me feel like I was crazy. So I picked it up. drove it normal for a couple days with no problem. Then, after visiting a friend, I hopped in and the truck went into limp mode. Low power. Transmission wouldnt shift out of first gear, Abs and another dummy light was on. I made it a couple blocks home, turned it off and tried to start it. Nothing. No crank just when you turn the key, nothing. Had it towed to another shop and they looked at it and said thay the systems were not communicating with eachother. The next day when they went to work on it. It popped off and ran fine. Thats where I'm at now. They don't know where to check other than the normal battery/starter, alt. they chrecked unter the ECU for corosion, nothing, they checked under the fuse box for issues. Nothing. I told them they have to dive it around as thats what I did to make this issue happen. They say they do but still, cannot get the problem to reveal itself. I'm really hopeing someone herer and give me some answers because Im tired of paying for towing services.
Old Yesterday, 7:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 361 Likes on 342 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Sounds like a bad electrical connection probably a bad ground.
Old Yesterday, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. Sounds like a bad electrical connection probably a bad ground.
Thanks for the reply. The shop said they checked all the grounds and found they were all fine. They are now waiting for it to happen again so they can check out further. But of course it isnt acting up at the shop. Everytime they go out to start it,it starts right up, I told them they have to drive it but who knows if they are.
This is so frustrating because I'm the pnly one who seems to research what is going on. The funny thing is, this is the thrid shop I've had it at with the same issue.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

I would have changed the starter based on your initial description, but that doesn't help with the running issues after you left the shop.
How old is your battery - wonder if after sitting for a week it partially discharged causing your other problems.
Agree grounds are suspect. Just checking them are not enough,they should be unhooked, cleaned and re-seated. Triple check your battery cables arein good condition.
Good luck and report back on progress
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I will report all that is said here to the shop its at and maybe they would follow up instead of doing nothing but waiting for it to act up again, which i think thats what their doing. All 3 shops have done this and its really getting me pissed.