Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

driving through water

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2016, 4:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving through water

Been a long time since ive been on here. Was wondering if anyone could help me figure something out.
I have a 95 silverado 2500 4x4, and when I drive through water, the engine starts to bog down like its not getting gas or something.
It bogs down, then after a few seconds it will come back and run normal for a second or two and then bogs down again, and keeps repeating this cycle.
If I push the throttle to the floor, it will run fine while im accelerating, when I let off the throttle, it begins bogging down again.
If I drive on a dry road for a while, it will start to run normal again, and never does this when it doesn't rain or anything and the road is completely dry.
I'm leaning towards some kind of ignition problem.
Ive taken a spray bottle and gone around and sprayed everything with water while it was running, nothing recreated the problem, even the distributor cap was dripping wet with water, ran fine.
So I am completely lost, Ive talked to my mechanic and im bringing it in tomorrow, but as a last ditch effort I was hoping someone on here could tell it was something extremely simple and I could fix it myself real quick before I spend the big bucks.
Old Today, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find out anything?

Originally Posted by Charms
Been a long time since ive been on here. Was wondering if anyone could help me figure something out.
I have a 95 silverado 2500 4x4, and when I drive through water, the engine starts to bog down like its not getting gas or something.
It bogs down, then after a few seconds it will come back and run normal for a second or two and then bogs down again, and keeps repeating this cycle.
If I push the throttle to the floor, it will run fine while im accelerating, when I let off the throttle, it begins bogging down again.
If I drive on a dry road for a while, it will start to run normal again, and never does this when it doesn't rain or anything and the road is completely dry.
I'm leaning towards some kind of ignition problem.
Ive taken a spray bottle and gone around and sprayed everything with water while it was running, nothing recreated the problem, even the distributor cap was dripping wet with water, ran fine.
So I am completely lost, Ive talked to my mechanic and im bringing it in tomorrow, but as a last ditch effort I was hoping someone on here could tell it was something extremely simple and I could fix it myself real quick before I spend the big bucks.
Did you ever find out what was the issue? My 95 GMC Sierra Z71 is doing the same thing.