Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear driver side passenger window issues .. help!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2017, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear driver side passenger window issues .. help!

Good morning .. My name is Jason, and am new to this forum. You know how it is, you join forums when you find things wrong with your truck .. Maybe you all can help! I am in Florida, have a 2001 Suburban LT, 190K+ miles, and will drive it until the wheels fall off!!

My problem is.. Rear drivers side window .. It started out randomly going down on it's own, and I was able to put on the window lock up front and roll it back up, and keep it up. Time passes and I put off getting it fixed and looked at. Now, when I start the car the window rolls down on its own, and the master lock out doesn't work all the time, it is intermittent. So as of right NOW .. the window goes down by itself, and to get it back up I have to pop off the switch console and sort of squeeze and mess with the plug to get it to go back up. Sometimes it does it right away and sometimes it takes me a moment or two. I have even turned off the truck and turned back on the key and sometimes when I turn the key back on the switch works and I roll it up and then cut power real quick. The rear window switch does not work anymore either. ALSO, oddly enough on the same door, the rear lock sometimes does not work when I hit the lock unlock button, and I have to reach around and open it manually, AND on the master switch the front window button's lights have gone out. Also forgot, a couple of times when I have to pop off the switch panel while driving, and I put the window back up I just leave the panel sort of sitting there, and if I try to put it back in the hole or just place it down firmly so it doesn't flop around it will trigger the window to go back down again, and if I lift it up it has stopped.. that part I just don't get, maybe a punched wire or something.

I also have a stereo in my truck, and I from time to time will pull the driver door panel off to fine tune and mess with the door speakers, don't know if taking the switch on and off like that would do anything.

So this is where I am. I am in Central Florida so I need to get this fixed before the rainy season or I'm floatin and ridin all at the same time! lol

Thanks for any and all help!!
Jason
Old May 22nd, 2017, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

No one has any comment or advice on this?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like worn out/bad window switches. Do all the other windows work normally?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

All other windows work fine. Sometimes the rear door locks don't engage though when I hit the lock or unlock. Maybe it's all connected??
Old May 22nd, 2017, 1:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by StarChyldd
GI also have a stereo in my truck, and I from time to time will pull the driver door panel off to fine tune and mess with the door speakers, don't know if taking the switch on and off like that would do anything.
I'm still trying to figure out why you do this. How exactly do you "fine tune" the door speakers?

You're popping the door panel on and off (and jostling all of the connected wiring), and now you're wondering why one of the windows isn't operating properly? Seems like you've answered your own question.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
I'm still trying to figure out why you do this. How exactly do you "fine tune" the door speakers?

You're popping the door panel on and off (and jostling all of the connected wiring), and now you're wondering why one of the windows isn't operating properly? Seems like you've answered your own question.
Here recently the 3way crossover has been giving me issues for my component speakers. I have a JL Audio System in my truck, and I am always tuning my equipment for the best sound. I have had to take off the door panel about 2-3 times in the past month, HOWEVER, the issue with the window has been going on for well over a year, and has more recently gotten worse. I have noticed the past couple of days it has settled down and not done it at all. I took apart the door again, and made sure there were no pinched wires, etc and put everything back together nice and tight and solid. However the lights on the master switch still do not work, and I am sure the rear window will continue to give me issues.

Since this original post I have purchased a new master switch. It has arrived in the mail today at my POB and I will install tonight. We will see.
Old May 25th, 2017, 2:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds to me like one of those electrical gremlins that are bloody hard to find. If you have been in the dash messing with wires that's where I'd start looking. I'll bet there's a short in there someplace.
Old May 25th, 2017, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

I took my door panel off a few days ago and when I put it back on I tried to make sure everything was good, not pinched or bent or stuck shoved somewhere. I have not been having any issues with the window for, say, 2-3 days. The master switch I bought online has arrived, but I think I am going to wait until the window does it again THEN change it out. Even though the window is not acting up, the lights on the master switch at the top are still out, and the bottom half works.

Gremlins indeed...