Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Oil pressure woes, 06 Sub

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2018, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure woes, 06 Sub

So since the Holiday season, my 06 Suburban has had oil pressure issues. The truck has 246K miles on the odometer. The symptoms are as follows. Low pressure at the gauge. 20 PSI or less. Also a clicking from the engine as if there is a bad lifer/rocker. SO I researched the issue and found that GM had trouble with the o-ring on the oil pump pick up tube. I replaced that. No change in symptoms. I then replaced the oil pump with a new Melling unit. Again, still low oil pressure and the clicking remains. At this point I am at a loss. Not sure if the sender is bad and my oil pressure is fine?? But, beings I still hear the clicking I am concerned. What else can I check out?

Brandon
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You can try a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if the reading is actually low. What oil are you using? You can also try a thicker oil like 20W50 to see if that helps any.
Old January 19th, 2018, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can try a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if the reading is actually low. What oil are you using? You can also try a thicker oil like 20W50 to see if that helps any.
Thanks. A mechanical gauge is my next step. I am hoping that it is a collapsed lifter causing the problem (noise). A guy posted a video on youtube of using B12 down the holes where the push-rods go in order to clean them up.