Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Drop in RPM's on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2018, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in RPM's on Freeway

Hi All.

Just hoping a few experts can point me in the right direction. I think I know what the issue is, but wanted to get some opinions.

I have a 1991 Suburban with a 454 V8 - engine rebuilt around 5K miles ago.

On the freeway - or otherwise cruising around town - if I have held my speed (with no major change in speed) for awhile and am going around 55-75, after awhile I will notice a sudden drop in engine noise and RMP. I dont have a Tach so I am just going by feel and noise. I am assuming the Overdrive is kicking in. Here is the issue; the engine seems to hold this quiet low RMP even after I have got off the freeway, stopped at a red light, and am back on surface streets. If I give it too much gas the engine will lug and shutter (it never does this except after it enters this stage). I can tell the difference because usually when I am accelerating after being stopped the engine has as usual roar, but once it enters this mode it is very quiet. I also feel like the engine is lugging because I am someone who has driven a manual for many years and it almost feels like it is in too high a gear. So all of this is to say I feel like the overdrive is staying engaged when it should disengage (if that's even the right term...)

Any ideas from the group?
Old June 16th, 2018, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just going off of what you say, that's what it sounds like. Have you had it looked at? Generally the problems I've heard of with overdrive are the vehicle not staying in overdrive when appropriate or not going in at all! But it definitely sounds like yours is either staying in overdrive or not appropriately downshifting when you come off the highway or back to stop & go driving.
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how big is the rpm drop? If its around 300...maybe the tcc is applying and staying applied.
Old June 17th, 2018, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by NerdicEclipse
Just going off of what you say, that's what it sounds like. Have you had it looked at? Generally the problems I've heard of with overdrive are the vehicle not staying in overdrive when appropriate or not going in at all! But it definitely sounds like yours is either staying in overdrive or not appropriately downshifting when you come off the highway or back to stop & go driving.
Thank you. Haven't had it looked at yet, wanted to have a good idea of what is wrong first.
Old June 17th, 2018, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
how big is the rpm drop? If its around 300...maybe the tcc is applying and staying applied.
It is a big drop in RPM, but without a Tachometer I'm just going off gut feel. Also what is the TCC?
Old June 17th, 2018, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Torque convertor clutch. put a scan tool on it and watch the rpm thru the scan tool data.

Last edited by tech2; June 17th, 2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added comment
Old June 18th, 2018, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the help - I'm not sure how to do that though. I couldn't find many vids/instructions on how to hook up the scan tool. I'm a weekend grease monkey, but have to admit I know nothing about Transmissions.

Should I just take it to a reputable shop?