Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2006 Uplander AC compressor starts up with a grind

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Uplander AC compressor starts up with a grind

Can someone tell me what is wrong?
I made a YouTube video of the noise.
Old September 16th, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like you'll need a new AC compressor. If the AC is off and it doesn't make noise that rules out a tensioner bearing going south.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i didnt hear it, but if mine made noises i wasnt accustomed to hearing i would give it an ounce or less of pag oil and hope for the best

Last edited by 12three; September 17th, 2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:45 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 12three
i didnt hear it, but if mine made noises i wasnt accustomed to hearing i would give it an ounce or less of pag oil and hope for the best
Looks to me like the OP started the engine up with the A/C in the "on" position. If so that's not a valid way for us to Dx his issue. It's probably the compressor, but still could
be the pulley/tensioner bearings. Still, no word on A/C pressures isn't helping figure this issue out. Removing the SPT-belt and spinning the pulley would be helpful too.
Old September 18th, 2018, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Looks to me like the OP started the engine up with the A/C in the "on" position. If so that's not a valid way for us to Dx his issue. It's probably the compressor, but still could
be the pulley/tensioner bearings. Still, no word on A/C pressures isn't helping figure this issue out. Removing the SPT-belt and spinning the pulley would be helpful too.
no I actually started the engine up with ac off. But the moment I turn the ac on you can hear a bang, it’s not super loud and it goes away immediately. It’s probably the compressor since it’s original which is 12 years old now and belt is also original.
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest

no I actually started the engine up with ac off. But the moment I turn the ac on you can hear a bang, it’s not super loud and it goes away immediately. It’s probably the compressor since it’s original which is 12 years old now and belt is also original.
ok i heard something at that moment. not sure what it was.. maybe if you leave your mic by the compressor it would be clearer, but the cheap advice is probably the same: check that high and low pressures are normal, rule out the belt/pulley... add no more than an oz of correct weight pag oil and pray
Old September 18th, 2018, 3:20 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Guest

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. A/C compressors can last along time. Depends on use mostly.