Notices
Silverado DIY and Useful Threads This section is for Do-It-Yourself articles and other informative FAQ threads. If you would like to submit an article, contact a member of staff!

EVAP Charcoal Cannister replacment

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2017, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP Charcoal Cannister replacment

I am in the process of replacing my EVAP Charcoal Canister (2005 Tahoe). I removed the canister and loose charcoal bullets poured out. Having issues with filling the gas tank was led to this as possible cause. I think replacing appears to be the right thing to do.

I have ordered a replacement on line. Would it be ok to drive the vehicle for a few days without having the canister in place. Or should I reinstall the old canister until the new one arrives.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

i'd put it back
you need to blow out all of the evap lines before installing a new canister...get all the pellets out of the hoses.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - in the process of blowing out the evap lines I realized that the hose from the tank appeared to be clogged. I tried putting gas in the car after removing the charcoal canister and continued to have the same issue with the pump clicking off repeatedly. Unfortunately I don't think I can unclog the fuel tank evaporator hose without lowering the fuel tank. Have you ever heard of this issue. I think I have to replace the hose $$$$. After I burn off some of the gas in the tank I will lower the tank and probably replace the Fuel tank evap hose - it's expensive. Any advice
Old June 4th, 2017, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

if your going to try to blow out the tank vent hose....take the filler cap off first. I have never changed the tank vent line so i don't know how hard they are to remove from the tank. If the fuel pump is the original, consider replacing it at the same time while your in there and dropping the tank.