Notices
Silverado DIY and Useful Threads This section is for Do-It-Yourself articles and other informative FAQ threads. If you would like to submit an article, contact a member of staff!

Probelms getting old tie rods off of 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2017, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probelms getting old tie rods off of 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3L

I need to replace my inner tie rods on my 2010 Silverado crew cab 5.3L. First time attempting this, but they will not come off with a wrench or $20 inner tie rod tool from Pep Boys. I did get a loaner tool from Advanced Auto, but the tool was not deep enough to allow the crows foot to seat onto flat spots of the tie rod square. Basically, the ball joint is in the way. The manual says to use red threadlock when replacing, so I'm thinking this is the problem. Any advice or recommended tool?
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You’ll have to apply heat to break the threadlock. Be careful as you don’t want to burn down your garage. A suspension shop can put an acetylene torch to it and break it for you.

SD
Old December 22nd, 2017, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburban Dude
You’ll have to apply heat to break the threadlock. Be careful as you don’t want to burn down your garage. A suspension shop can put an acetylene torch to it and break it for you.

SD
Thanks for the tip. My brother works for a big farming operation and they had a lift in their shop. Getting underneath it allowed me to get better leverage and break it with the $20 tool without having to heat it up.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

time for a wheel alignment
Old December 22nd, 2017, 7:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I bought my son this when he replaced his upper control arms, I call it a gas hatchet, or blue nosed wrench.