Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 Silverado 1500HD Power Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2012, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado 1500HD Power Door Lock Problem

Hi,

I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD with 2 problems which I believe are separate.

1st problen: I have auto door locks and whenever I press the unlock button it doesn't unlock the doors. There's no click or attempt to unlock them but if I hit the lock side of the switch, the doors lock. Is this a bad relay? If so, where is it at and how can I test it?

2nd problem: The passenger side door doesn't lock or unlock but I can hear the actuator making noise when I hit the lock/unlock button and if I put my hand on the actuator inside the door, I can feel it activate when I try to lock/unlock the door. Is this a bad actuator? I already verified that the metal wire that goes from the actuator to the lock moves freely so it isn't an issue with that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by figuee19; November 23rd, 2012 at 3:13 PM.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2007 chevy 1500HD with the door locks not unlocking when I hit the unlock button but they lock with the lock button and this is with both key FOBs, but mine happens intermittenly that it will start working for a few times then quits again, very frustrating. I have tried new batteries in both FOBs and still didnt fix the problem. So I am with you on this one, is there anyone out there that has had this and fixed it?
Old November 26th, 2012, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Hey, so I fixed the 1st problem that I was having. It looks like the white wire that connects to the door lock which is responsible for unlocking the doors, was cut probably due to the stock alarm being removed. I connected the two wires back together and now the unlock works...I'm still having trouble with the passenger door though.
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyTuscany
I have the same problem with my 2007 chevy 1500HD with the door locks not unlocking when I hit the unlock button but they lock with the lock button and this is with both key FOBs, but mine happens intermittenly that it will start working for a few times then quits again, very frustrating. I have tried new batteries in both FOBs and still didnt fix the problem. So I am with you on this one, is there anyone out there that has had this and fixed it?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ChevyTuscany,

“figuee19” makes a good point. The issue you are experiencing sounds as though it is a connection issue, especially considering it happens intermittently.

Consider consulting with a technician for an official diagnosis.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 26th, 2012, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

I would agree with you on the wiring problem but the intermittent part happens even when I have not even touched the truck, it will work to unlock the drivers door then I will push it again to unlock the rest of the doors and it won't work. There are also other times when I push the button twice and all the doors unlock, then i will try it again a few moments later and nothing happens, but sometimes I can hear it try to unlock the all ready unlocked doors. I will have to try and look at the wiring when the weather warms up and I can make sure all the connections are tight
Old April 22nd, 2013, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Australia

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2002 silver ado LS 1500. The doors lock with the remote or switch, however will not open. I have just replaced the actuators and the problem has still not been fixed. I even connected just the new actuators on their own and even then they only actuate when locking. I have checked all wiring and cannot see any problems.
Is there another relay that controls the switch ?
Given I am in Western Australia, there are no dealers or service centres so need to fix this myself !
Old January 26th, 2016, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default 03 truck door lock problem

I have an 03 regular cab pu and the "lock" action quit working for the power door locks. You could hear the lock actuators moving, but would not lock the doors. You could hear a relay clicking, but no action. The door locks would unlock, but not lock. There are three (5 terminal ) relays in the cab fuse block. One "lock" and two "unlock" relays. I have a friend w/ a relay tester and one relay tested bad and one questionable. Replaced two $16.00 relays, now locks work properly.