Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 silverado 2500hd 6.0 knock sensor question

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have that code as well... started when I did a degrease and washed the engine and compartment like I do on the old cars... We had an A?C leak and spray oil EVERYWHERE...so I cleaned it...then 2 days later it started throwing codes and the engine light is one... UGHHH so we bought the parts but not having a garage we hesitated to tear into it... My question is how hard is it to get the manifold off and back on???? About how long does it really take...I have pulled and rebuilt motors and trannies on trucks and our old Fiat Sportscars(easy peazy these old cars) but this has us a bit spooked...so many things on it! Thanks Cat
Old December 29th, 2011, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have air tools? Do you have a Torque wrench?
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Yes to both... we have all kinds of tools and have rebuilt many OLD cars...this is simply put "a lot of ****" on top... My hubby looked at it and got worried due to NO garage or pavement....We are on a farm and this just has many pieces he feared would get lost in the grass if dropped. I suggested putting down plastic and driving up on it... My question is truly how long will it take a good mechanic??? The mechanic I talked to said 3 hours labour ($200) since we had already bought the parts.... Not sure if this is good or bad!!!!
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bananastan

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado w/5.3L engine. My rear bank #2 sensor failed. My mechanic and local Chevy dealer quoted me repair estimates from $450 to $700 dollars to fix the problem! As an electrician and backyard hack, I did this. I screwed the two new knock sensors into the 3/8" threaded bosses on the rear of both cylinder heads. With a new wiring harness, I connected them to the existing connector at the back of the intake manifold and abandoned the old ones in place. It worked perfectly. Total Cost! $50 per sensor. $28 for new KS wiring harness. Also, get rid of those foam blocks under the manifold. They trap moisture and probably are the cause of this problem. I pressure wash my engine compartment all the time to get rid of the salt and mud that gets in there. I had to clear the P0332 KS a few times until the computer let it rest. Newer trucks have them on the outside of the block near the starter. That's where iI got this idea. Good Luck fellow Chevy owners!
The following users liked this post:
Scott Fenton (August 14th, 2020)
Old July 10th, 2019, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Misfire at 65 mph

I'm getting code p0300 not telling me a specific cylinder. I tried changing the basic parts no help. I can floor it to 70 and let off and it won't come on only at a constant speed of 65+