Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 Silverado spare tire loose but will not drop...

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2009, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Silverado spare tire loose but will not drop...

So i searched the site quickly and could not find any tips that may help so I will ask to see if you guys no of any solutions. The other day while walking around I noticed my spare was crooked under my truck. Its loose to the point I can physically move it by hand by not hanging dangerously low. I tried to lower it using the wrench but the wrench starts to turn and grab then just gives out like its stripped. As far as I know it is the original spare...is there any lubricant that may help so it may be lowered? Everyone I ask tells me to cut it off and throw it in the back of my truck lol. I just don't want to hit a bump one day and be dragging it behind me.
Old July 15th, 2009, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

make sure you are using the square end of the jack rod, not that flat tip. it should engage right away with some pressure on it. Your spare is probably just hung up crooked...check the hanger its on or just try lowering it and raising it again.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've bumped a few things with the rear bumper of my 04, and it's out of alignment with the spare release cog.(that's the square end of the winding mechanism which tightens and releases your spare tire) There's a spot in your rear bumper where you insert your jack handle. There's a thin plastic tube which acts as a guide when the truck is new, and the bumper isn't hit. After some rear-end accidents or careless backing, howsomever, the guide tube is out of alignment, and you cant connect the jack to the release cog.

Just rip that tube on out of there, then you will be able to see the release cog, connect the jack handle to it, and lower or raise the tire.

The rest of the system hasn't been too badly plowed by the GM "design engineers", fortunately.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

had the same problem, took it to the local dealer, they cut off the actuator & clipped off the cable.
took them 2 hours to get it off!
I now carry it in the bed of the truck.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may make you look like an old farmer but a spare tire carrier on the inside of the box sounds like pretty good standard equipment everyday