Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 2500hd 2wd raddeling

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 2500hd 2wd rattling

So I have a few issues/questions.

1- this does not happen all the time, but it does happen pretty regularly. When I shift in to reverse I get a clank sound.
I havent been able to figure out a patter of when it happens, does it when first starting in the am sometimes, does it after i have been driving for half a day.

2- not constantly but fairly consistent raddeling almost metal clanging sound when I press the gas pedal in gear(have only noticed it in first few gears gear) the sound comes and goes, when I hear the sound if I let off the gas it stops immediately.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is automatic.

Last edited by MarkHerndon; December 2nd, 2012 at 8:58 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 8:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'll tell you no need to worry about 1st question. Rear ends get a little play in them over time and mine has done it forever and 204000 still going strong.

for 2nd question I am not really sure but have you checked to make sure exhaust is solid and isn't rattling around and stuff
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> MarkHerndon,

Does you experience these issues at a certain time of day, between certain temperatures; can you describe where the noise is coming from? Any additional information you can provide may help. Has the vehicle been diagnoses for these issues?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 3rd, 2012, 1:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like U joints. With it not running, and in park with parking brake set, crawl underneath, roll the drive shaft back and forth to feel if there is alot of play.