Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1983 Chevy One Ton Truck

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2015, 8:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Chevy One Ton Truck

Hey all!

I'm curious if anybody knows what the tow capacity is of an 83 chevy pickup? I am considering this truck (or something like it) and while it's something I will probably not do more than a couple times but I want to make sure it could handle towing a car hauler trailer with a half ton truck on it?

Also, I don't know what engine this truck has, but I'm hoping a small block because it'll get better day-to-day fuel economy. But, is a small block powerful enough for the hauling? I'm not going to demand 90mph speeds up steep grades for hours at a time, but I'd like to know that I can at least go the speed limit.

While we're at it, would this truck (if it's got a small block gas V8) get 15+mpg when empty?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and here's the link to the truck:

1983 White Chevy one ton Pick-up Truck

Last edited by mistaake; March 18th, 2015 at 8:47 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, it was actually a 3/4 ton, with a 350 small block.

And now it's mine

http://imgur.com/a/U8x3g
Old March 24th, 2015, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Im laughing at this so hard. im sorry.

id assume maximum hitch weight is going to be 6-8K pounds.

that truck is a 2500 so it should be halfway decent at hauling your half 1/2 ton around. just make sure you balance your load and have a trailer, ball, hitch, bumper, that can handle the load. yes thats a smallblock, if its the 5.7L they put that motor in the 2500 and 1500 series trucks. just beware that motor will be a "top off the oil, check the gas" kind of thing, and trust me you wont be going anywhere 90 miles a hour. more like 55, maybe 60. Do a tune up, run it on 90 octane, and it should do good. if it has a automatic tranny, be gentle with it, and make sure your fluid is clean. if its a manual, be gentle on the clutch.

All in All, id be careful. theres so much that can go wrong.
Old March 24th, 2015, 3:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 89scottsdale
Im laughing at this so hard. im sorry.

id assume maximum hitch weight is going to be 6-8K pounds.

that truck is a 2500 so it should be halfway decent at hauling your half 1/2 ton around. just make sure you balance your load and have a trailer, ball, hitch, bumper, that can handle the load. yes thats a smallblock, if its the 5.7L they put that motor in the 2500 and 1500 series trucks. just beware that motor will be a "top off the oil, check the gas" kind of thing, and trust me you wont be going anywhere 90 miles a hour. more like 55, maybe 60. Do a tune up, run it on 90 octane, and it should do good. if it has a automatic tranny, be gentle with it, and make sure your fluid is clean. if its a manual, be gentle on the clutch.

All in All, id be careful. theres so much that can go wrong.
Laughing with me, not at me, right ?

Speed limit when towing in California is 55 so as long as the truck can do that I'm happy. When not towing I like to drive a bit fast on the highway.

I think that year the California smog compliant version of the small block 350 5.7L had 155hp? Sure I'll win some races with that!!

It's the automatic, not sure what exact transmission, but I'll find out. Definitely have some work before it can be running or towing for that matter but should be a fun project...

Edit: assuming the trailer weighs 1500lbs and the truck I want to tow weighs 4000lbs I hsould be good. Will check all the weights though.

Last edited by mistaake; March 24th, 2015 at 3:48 PM.
Old March 24th, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

That truck was not a real powerhouse. it was geared for more torque than speed. the chevyn 350 was only good for about 150-200HP new, and id say a well used motor runs maybe 150, 120HP. Ive seen these motors get beefed up, Intake manifold, Carb, Headers, heads, springs, make 300+ Horsepower, but my 5.3L Chevy votec in my -03 puts out 295 right now.. stock

Be careful of that automatic tranny. if you serious about pulling rebuild it now, unless that thing is in pristine shape it will blow up on you. i think its a Turbo 700r4 tranny thats put in that year, they are good transmissions but its old.. and probably worn out from sitting. seals go out, blowby happens and things slip and destroy themselves)

Just dont think your going to win races with this truck. it will need ALOT of work done to it in the long run, if you choose to beef stuff up now, good for you, or you can beef stuff up as they blow up in the middle of the road. (been there done that)
Old March 24th, 2015, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Preventative maintenance is a great mentality - just not a cheap one when dealing with a $500 truck. I'll try to get it running in the next couple of weeks and report back on the condition of the mechanical aspects of the truck.
Old April 25th, 2015, 5:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, it's now running and my daily driver, first thing I did is replace the spark plugs and overhaul half the brake system... will overhaul the second half of the brake system in a month or so when I can afford it.

Already did an oil and filter change. Over time sooner than later I'll be servicing everything (transmission, coolant, etc)

I think its TH400 transmission, which has a better reputation than the crappy 700r4 (in fact, the similar 4l60e just failed in my 96 yukon). Let's see if it will pass smog test without doing any carburetor or other tune up work... probably not given the difficult cold starts.

Last edited by mistaake; April 25th, 2015 at 5:36 PM.