Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 4.3 engine start problem

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2010, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 4.3 engine start problem

Hey all
here's what I have:

1991 chevy work truck 1/2 T, 4x4, with 4.3, tbi 5 speed manual

At some point in time, the Control Module was fried, I pulled it, and there where numerous chips fried and baked, some pieces where bouncing around in the housing. I replaced the cm with a like module, a 16144288, removed the eeprom and installed the old one.

New battery installed, attempt to start, she winds over real good, but no fire.
Fuel pump, fuel filter replaced, fuel pressure has not been checked.
Upon attempting to start,she spins over good, no start, starting fluid sprayed into intake, she starts, but will not idle, she's doing about 2200-2500 RPMs, and will not take throttle, it bogs down and acts like it wants to die, ease off throttle and she recovers. Key turned to OFF, engine dies, on restart, no start, unless starting fluid applied, same as above, with regards to idle speed.
ALDL jumpered, it shows code 14/15, coolant temp sensor problem, R&R coolant temp sensor, same as before, and same error code, the control module was disco'd from power for approx 10-15 min, no change.

Some additional info:
this truck is used as a snowplowing truck, heavy duty useage in the past, but not so much the past couple years.
it has sat for 1 1/2 -2 years before this was attempted.
It was running fine before this

I would appreciate any info as to how/what I need/should look at.
Thank you
jerry
aka akjerry
Old June 3rd, 2010, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

bump bump
Old June 7th, 2010, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

had the same problem with my truck change the coolant temp sensor right by the thermostat housing also change the pig tail to the sensor part cost like $14
Old June 8th, 2010, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

It is running better. Yesterday morning went out and fired the truck up, no starting fluid, let her run for 30-40 minutes, shut it off and fired it back up, I did have to hold the accelerator to the floor, but it did start.I checked the voltage to coolant temp sensor, was around 4-5 volts, any idea if thats correct? I ohmed the old one at about 50 degrees outside temp, it was in the area of 4 to 4.3 K ohms, held it under the sink faucet and could see the resistance go up and down with changing water temps, so I think the problem is in the wiring, just a guess at this point.