Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 Silverado 4l60E Lost forward gears today

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 98 silverado with no foward or reverse! Pulled the trans out looking into a reman. but would like to no whats wrong too. Any idea yet?
Old May 21st, 2012, 5:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetEmotion
I got a 98 silverado with no foward or reverse! Pulled the trans out looking into a reman. but would like to no whats wrong too. Any idea yet?
Is it a K truck or C?

Allan
Old May 21st, 2012, 5:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
close but wrong theres still a shift cable way up into the vortec days, if you need proof i can look it up but im feeling lazy

I've pulled plenty of pans on 4l60 and 4l80es and that shift cable is right in the friggin way
Shift cable in GM speak is Manual Lever in Ford speak. Ok I m wrong, I misunderstood and thought you meant TV cable. I thought the previous poster was referring to a kickdown cable or forced downshift cable, then I am correct, "it no has" as Borat would say.

If he gets no forward gears how could this be the shift cable? He says his sister was driving the car when she lost all forward motion BUT has reverse. That isnt a manual lever issue(if it is a rod or a cable). That is an internal issue.

Last edited by RacerX; May 21st, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 21st, 2012, 5:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has an external pressure port on the case, you have to test the pressure to ascertain if it is the valve body, the oil pump or internal components that have failed. But since you already removed it, you may have to disassemble it to see what went wrong.
Old May 21st, 2012, 9:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there isn't a shift cable then your linkage would have to be electronic and would point to some kind of failed motor or circuit.
Old May 21st, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my silverado is a k1500. sorry to highjacker thread. im going with a reman w/ a warranty at this point, but would like to know what caused it. not bad though im doing the labor trans is costing me 750
Old May 22nd, 2012, 5:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my silverado is a k1500. sorry to highjacker thread. im going with a reman w/ a warranty at this point, but would like to know what caused it. not bad though im doing the labor trans is costing me 750
On a K truck with a 'no drive' condition in either forward or reverse , you always suspect the transfer case first. Hate to see you drop all that money on a tranny and the problem actually lies behind it.

Allan
Old January 16th, 2015, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

And this sounds a lot like my problem. Thanks Allen and yes my truck is a K series
Old July 26th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 4l60e

The 4L60E needs power & signals supplied by the PCM to command the 2 shift solenoids off & on. When you disconnect the trans connector, or pull the fuse for the circuit that provides power, when put in "D" the trans will only have 3rd gear because BOTH shift solenoids are off. If in this state you pull the shift lever down into L1, the trans will actually go into 2nd due to the manual valve providing pressure to the circuit.

Maycko, you did not indicate if there were any codes stored when this vehicle came in.. Were there? If so, please list them for us.

If it matters, I just had a '96 4L60E come in last week with a similar problem to yours. It had REVERSE only. No forward movement. The customer stated she was accelerating from a green light, heard a pop, and then the trans was in neutral. She tried all manual FORWARD positions but the vehicle would not move. She then tried reverse and it worked so she backed off the road into a parking lot. When I tore that transmission down, I found that the bearing in the low planet set had gone out, then the splined section of the low planet that mates to the output shaft separated from the rest of the planet. I rebuilt that trans with a new low planet set, bushing kit, over-haul kit, thrust washer kit, bearing kit, torque converter, and she picked it up the next day happy as can be. Her pan also had very little debris in it, just a smattering of gray material on the magnet.

If you have no codes indicating problems with electrical inside the trans (and they weren't erased from a dead battery, or battery disconnected) then I would have to say the problem is INSIDE the trans.
Old December 5th, 2015, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fluid Change Made a Difference

I've had some of the same issues. I currently have reverse, but no forward gears. My L6 started to slip. I changed the fluid and filter. There was a thin layer of gunk on the bottom and on the magnet. You have to make sure you have the correct pan gasket as the bolt (count them) pattern can be different. The new filter didn't pop back in, so I just got it snug and tightened the pan back on. One thing I noticed was the wiring inside the pan. It's protected by that cheap thin hard plastic. When I touched it, it just about crumbled in my hand. I cleaned some of the plastic off the wiring until it didn't flake off and left the rest. My first thought was that melted plastic or plastic pieces might be stuck in the L6, but how if there is a filter? To my surprise, the fluid change helped. I got back forward gears with the drain, new filter, and with some Lucas additive. The first drive, I was able to gun it a little with no slip, but it didn't seem perfect. The slipping returned, but again I noticed that when I reved the engine high, the forward movement would return a little. So, then when I had to move the vehicle or go up a hill, I would rev it high and it would slowly go in to hear. Sometimes it seemed like after reving it high a few times, it would actually go into gear and work as it is intended. But the next day it would slip again and I'd have to rev it to get the forward gears back. But recently, the forward gears just quit. I still have reverse and its strong. After reading this forum, I'll try pulling the fuse to see if D is there, if not its going to the shop.

My question is, how do I keep the mechanic from breaking my bank account? This forum lists many different issues. This transmission is very interesting and may be flawed in my opinion. Or at least not made to last more than 150k.

Quick Reply: 1994 Silverado 4l60E Lost forward gears today