Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 K1500 shift column handle very sloppy...linkage?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2016, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 1/2 ton 4x4 shift handle very sloppy...linkage?

Hey all,

I have a 1995 1/2 pickup 4x4 that I use as my plow truck. Worked great in our recent 3' of snow after I used the tractor to make a path. On way back into barn I tried to go from Drive to Reverse but the shift handle was extremely loose. I could move handle any direction but nothing was happening. I was able to go to 3rd gear from Drive but could not go back "up." I shut truck off, crawled under and manually moved lever into PARK. Started truck back on and was able to shift into drive and drove right to barn. I then tried to shift again but still same issue could not go back "UP." Shift handle again was Extremely loose, as in I could move it up/down/over..but nothing was happening.
So what it is doing is if it is in PARK I can go to any gear "down" (R,N,OVERDRIVE, DRIVE, etc..) but cannot go back "up".

The arm coming out of the transmission had a little round ball on it where it connects to linkage. That piece was rusted off and thought as a quick fix would take it off and drill hole putting 1/4" bolt through. That did not correct situation.

Any help would be appreciated, I know there is more snow to come.

Thanks again,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails 1995 K1500 shift column handle very sloppy...linkage?-img_3234.jpg   1995 K1500 shift column handle very sloppy...linkage?-img_3217.jpg  

Last edited by Mattrmc; February 10th, 2016 at 8:44 AM. Reason: updated details and photos