Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 silverado won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2010, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 silverado won't shift out of park

I have already changed the brake pedal switch but I can't shift out of park. getting pretty tired of having to find that "sweet spot" with the key and shifting into neutral to start truck and go into drive. any advise would be appreciated.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Active Member

It should be the shift lock cable. It runs up steering column to the ign.cylinder. you will have to replace cable.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

A couple of days ago I replaced my brake light switch. WHAT A PAIN! Everything was fine until my son called me from football practice and said the truck would not shift out of park. I figured it had to be something with the switch so I crawled back underneath and sure enough, the switch had slipped out to the end of the bar that runs through the center of the switch. When I bought the switch, I looked for a new clip kit but everyone was out or didn't carry them so I put the old one back on and it came off. I pushed the switch back in place as far as I could to the drivers side and got it home. I used a small tie wrap, looped it over the bar and pulled it as tight as I could. I don't know how long this will last but it should get me through until I can find a clip kit. So, bottom line, your switch my not be bad; it just may be that it slid out of place and the link rod on the side of the switch isn't lining up so the shifter won't budge.