Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Won't Shift Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't Shift Out of Park

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with 34,000 miles and when I went to drive it last night, the car would not allow me to press the automatic transmission release and shift out of park. I was not on a hill, the tail lights all were working and after some handy reading on the site I found the over ride by the shifter. It works great as long as I depress the button each time I try to move the car (I have move it multiple times and the shifter still is not working unless I do this). Where is the problem really at. I would like to get a part and correct the issue, but I do not know where to start from here and being out of warranty for a little over a month, i would prefer not to have to pay a huge sum to fix it.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by scottr
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with 34,000 miles and when I went to drive it last night, the car would not allow me to press the automatic transmission release and shift out of park. I was not on a hill, the tail lights all were working and after some handy reading on the site I found the over ride by the shifter. It works great as long as I depress the button each time I try to move the car (I have move it multiple times and the shifter still is not working unless I do this). Where is the problem really at. I would like to get a part and correct the issue, but I do not know where to start from here and being out of warranty for a little over a month, i would prefer not to have to pay a huge sum to fix it.
I own a 95 Monte Z34, I had the same problem, I took the floor console shift handle off and sprayed WD40 down the shift handle and its been great since. Yours may be that or the brake switch possibly. Let me know.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I had tried about 2 ounces of WD-40 last weekend (guesstimate). I had to take it in today as the bypass was getting to be a hassle and they said I had two broken wires and that would be 1.5 hours shop time. I will have to fight GM on this one, that's not right that this happened along with my issues with the remote start/keyless (only worked when within 20 feet), new bearing in the right front, tire pressure monitors replaced twice, power steering hose crapped out. Not happy with my 33,000 mile 2006 SS (orig tires, it has not been beat, I do get on it occasionally though, I have to hear the sound of the V-8) Maybe I should have kept my 99 Monte LS, it seemed to treat me better. Good luck with that Z-34, those were nice cars.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the post/attempt to help, forgot that important part in my last response.
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Good luck with it. I couldnt even imagine working on a V8 shoved in that engine compartment. Mine has a 3.4 DOHC, and I am currently replacing a Power Brake Booster and Power Steering lines. Not much room to work. The Engineers that design these should also be mechanics too!
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by scottr
Yeah, I had tried about 2 ounces of WD-40 last weekend (guesstimate). I had to take it in today as the bypass was getting to be a hassle and they said I had two broken wires and that would be 1.5 hours shop time. I will have to fight GM on this one, that's not right that this happened along with my issues with the remote start/keyless (only worked when within 20 feet), new bearing in the right front, tire pressure monitors replaced twice, power steering hose crapped out. Not happy with my 33,000 mile 2006 SS (orig tires, it has not been beat, I do get on it occasionally though, I have to hear the sound of the V-8) Maybe I should have kept my 99 Monte LS, it seemed to treat me better. Good luck with that Z-34, those were nice cars.
If it makes you feel any better, had it happen on my '03 about ... 18 months ago? $1K to replace the cable. Not only could I not shift, more times than not, couldn't start the damn car because the car wasn't sure it was in park..

How'd the fight go?