Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 chevy silverado won't start

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2008, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 chevy silverado won't start

hey guys Im having an issue with my truck it all started about a week ago when the mil came on I retreived the code (po354) ignition coil primary/secondary circuit. so I changed the spark plugs because no body had the coil pack in stock. so went for a test drive after changing the spark plugs then the mil started flashing came back home and read the codes again came back with multiple misfire random then I tried to start the truck to go to the parts store again and it was a no go no click or nothing. so I took my battery to a murrays to have it load tested and they said it was good it just needed to be recharched so the did that brought it back home istalled it and nothing. the funny thing is that when I check my battery by it self (no cables attached) I get over 12v on it but when I install the cables I only get between 1-4v I have tried starting my truck with my charger on the fast start mode 200 amp and nothing either so anyone know whats happening to my truck. I was thinking my starter is not getting any power or the coil is toast any suggestions will be appreciated thanks.
Old December 16th, 2008, 2:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1999 chevy silverado won't start

so if i understand what you are saying is the truck ran (althought like crap) you shut it off and when you went back to start it agian it would not turn over... or is it turning over just not starting.

Old December 16th, 2008, 2:08 AM
CF Junior Member

oh yea... what engine is it...5.3, 4.8, or 4.3makes a difference if you are trying to figure out the ignition system
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

the engine is a 5.3 and yes it ran like crap but i would always start and now it doesn't even click or anything I think is the starter so I'm checking that today.
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM
CF Junior Member

you should problably find out why you are only reading 1-4 volts... if you only have 4 volts your starter wont even think about turnning... are you checking from + to - terminal or from + terminal to frame ground.... if you have a bad ground from the frame to the battery that could cause a false reading, also check for corrosion between the cable and the battery terminal. unless you are saying you have 12 volts with a sitting battery andyou only show 1-4 volts while trying to start the truck then that is a dead sure sign of dead battery.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

hello again I have found the culprit to my situation the starter solenoid to starter motor cable was broken fixed it and my truck starts now yeeeeeei! now on to the po454 code thanks for the replies...
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM
CF Junior Member

try and check the resistance in the coils... call auto zone or advance and they can give you the points to check and the resitance to look for... if all coils check out.... check the control wires that plug into the coils for good connection... and after that replace spark plug wires if you have not... it dont hurt to replace them when you replace the plugs anyways because they break down over time.
Old February 12th, 2009, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

hello there again I have fixed my truck completely I replaced the #4 ignition coil and no more codes thanks a lot to the people that made it possible and responded to my questions especially thanks to "holyspatulaboy" for being there since the start of this thing.