Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 suburban fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 suburban fuel issues

I have a 1999 suburban k1500 with the 5.7 engine. This past winter I changed the fuel pump with a new delco pump. I planned to change the filter also, but the bolts into the filter were seized to the lines and I didn't want to mess with it in the snow/cold. The truck has been running fine but it bothered me that I was still running an old filter. I recently tried to change the filter again and ended up cutting the fuel line and replacing it in order to change out the filter. In the process I broke another fuel line (the line that comes from the pump). I dropped the tank far enough to replace that line as well and buttoned everything up. Tried to start, no luck. I have zero fuel pressure at the engine bay check port. I listened and can hear the pump activate. I loosened the rear filter bolt and gas spewed out so it seems the pump is working up to that point. The front (output) of the new filter had gas to it as well.

I was wondering, is there some check valve that needs reset or some bleeding procedure that needs to be performed? Any other thoughts on what the problem could be? How does the return line system work? Is it possible I broke one of the return lines and that is causing the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Jeremy