Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Chevy Silverado Cat Converter

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2008, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy Silverado Cat Converter

I recently had a tranny put in my 2000 chevy, my mechanic told me tht one of the cat converters were stopped up. He suggested removing them, i agreed and we went on. I noticed a pretty big gain in power since I already had flowmasters installed, but i heard tht it will affect my gas mileage negatively. Does any one want to comment on the pros and cons of catalytic converter removal, asside fromthe obvious environment issues?
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2000 Chevy Silverado Cat Converter

Pros: Obviously your gonna get more hp... less restriction for exhaust flow. Less restriction should equal better fuel mileage.

Cons: ILLEGAL... when you go in for your yearly inspection they will certainly find that you dont have a cat. converter. (unless you know somebody) lol...
And you are probably doubling your "carbon footprint" and spewing all those horrible emisions that are causing the ice caps to melt and are going to flood the entire coastal bondries of the planet... J/K Screw all that global warming crap. But seriously, save yourself the trouble and possibly a ticket and put that thing back on. If you like the hp gain Jegssells a high flow cat. converter... it wont equal not having one at all but it is a lot less restrictive that the OEM.

Old January 7th, 2008, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

we dont have inspections in ky, thank goodness.
Old January 7th, 2008, 7:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on eBay for replacements, if you are of a mind to replace. Hi-Flow cats for around $50 each and free shipping. Pretty good deal.
Old January 13th, 2008, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have no experience with the Cat converter on the Silverado, but I have heard of "gutting" the cat on other vehicles to remove the restriction and still allow the vehicle to appear legal.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 Silverado, I live in Ohio so I'm good with the law crap. but anyways I'm thinking about removing both of my Cadillac converters and I was wondering if it will cause any engine problems or damage(same difference) and I was also wondering about the o2 sensors that you can buy to prevent engine light coming on?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you remove the cats, the engine will through a catalytic efficiency code since the downstream o2's will be reading the same as the upstreams. you can get downstream o2 simulators online for about 15 bucks. all it does is fool the computer into thinking there are still cats on the truck and they are working properly.