Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 Silverado Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2016, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado Fueling Problem

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax. For the past few years it's been harder and harder to fill my tank without the pump handles cutting off after only a few seconds. It's acting as if my tank is full. I can fill it but only if I let the fuel trickle in and it's taken me upwards of 15-20 minutes to fill an empty tank.

From looking at other postings, it would appear the vapor can vent valve may be the problem. I'm not popping any codes. I bought a new solenoid valve from Dorman and went to replace it. Problem is, I can't seem to find it. My only guess is it's located on the top of the tank meaning I'll either have to tilt the truck bed or drop the tank.

Before I do all that, I'd like to get other opinions from those that experienced this same problem.
Old January 10th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Veteran

diesels don't have an evap system, check if your fuel tank vent hose is plugged
Old January 10th, 2016, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting. Wondering why Dorman sells that particular valve solenoid specifically for my truck.

Does the vent hose go all the way to the fill opening? Reason I ask is when I was under the truck and looking at that, there is a small hose going from the top of the gas tank to near the top of the filling hose. When I say small, I mean the inner diameter can't be more than half the width of a pencil.