Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2004 2500HD W/T - Numerous problems after a Radio install -PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 2500HD W/T - Numerous problems after a Radio install -PLEASE HELP!

First of all, my name is Daniel, i live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I drive a 2500HD everyday and do about 250m. Few days ago i decided to install a Sony cd deck with USB and Ipod controll. The guy at the BB told me i would need a harness, mounting bracket etc. So i bought a radio + bracket and no harness he said it was 169$!!!! Radio was 139$!
Chopped the plug on the old radio, right close to the actual plug. Installed the new deck according to wiring diagrams of google, everything works FINE! WRONG!!! the truck during the install was in the garage so it wasn't driven. As soon as i turn on the truck with the radio running all gauges on the dash go to the bottom. I also get "brake system problem", Airbag light, Security light and that little battery indicator. Now get this........ if i start the truck without the radio on, everything works fine, i start driving it...... turn on the radio, all the gauges go to the bottom and all these lights come on.

I thought it is a problem with power wire supplied from the truck, so i ran separate wire from the battery to the radio, it does the same thing!

here is what i am thinking:

1. on two diagrams that i got from the internet there should have been a white wire for one of the speakers. All the other colors matched just fine.
there was no white wire, there was a SLIM orange wire, yes, orange is power, but that slim did not have power and a Orange with power was/is 4 times as thick so its not that orange wire.

2. Chimes used to be in the speaker, they are not. Were the chimes built into the old radio, or did the output from the LF speaker go through the vehicles computer???

Please help as this is my daily Work Truck and i can't have this happening to it
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:22 PM
CF Junior Member

YOU SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cut the factory harness in ANY vehicle!! As a former car audio installer and a sound competitor I know a thing or two about car audio. In 2003 GM started and integrated security feature that made aftermarket stereo installs a nightmare. This $160.00 harness is not just a harness. This is a control unit for several different functions that your stock radio controls, such as, the door chime, instrument cluster and several other features that you are having issues with.

I hate the fact you cut this harness.......I charge around two or three hundred dollars to repair the damaged harness. YOU WILL NEED THE FACTORY HARNESS to be repaired to OEM and then you will need to spend the money for the aftermarket unit to fix this issue. In the future before you cut ANYTHING you NEED to get on here and ask some questions before you just start mindlessly hacking at wires in your vehicles. The new ones require a bit more then this one. Just thank God that you don't have the Bose system as this repair could set you back a grand or more to fix. Good luck and have fun.
Old April 18th, 2011, 6:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Hopefully you left you enough wire on the plug end to splice back together if possible. not like the old days when you only needed power and speaker wire.
goodluck.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

i agree with all the above . one option you could have done was do a factory relocation of the factory HU and tap into your fusebox for the power ing and ground. as for the speaker wires you could have ran new wires. i believe after 94 on all cars/trucks the wired the darn radio into the cars security system and some for examples caddys the have a vin number input on the radio to prevent from theft and only the dealer can reset . try to reconnect the factory harness and see if the dash warnings go
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Radio works, i agree with all of you! 100% BUT.... i got it to work, no problem, as easy as 1...2...3... and without the harness.

A) if this was a truck with a BOSE i wouldn't touch it, would stick to BOSE!

B) if this wasn't a W/T, i would spend extra 160$ and get the harness.

C) all the wiring diagrams i found on google did NOT specify slim orange wire, they only specifed white! and an orange for +/source/acc.

Here is what i did.

1. Ran a separate fused wire from a source.
2. Disconnected slim Orange wire from Left/Rear speaker connection at my Sony deck. ALL THE PROBLEMS WENT AWAY!!!
everything works as it is supposed to, the only thing is i am missing rear'left speaker, but i wasnt going to upgrade/use these anyway so i dont care.

"The Brick" in my 2004 2500HD didn't do anything, i guess, it was a basic truck etc.,,,

Thanks for all the help,
Daniel.
Old April 25th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Good on ya,
Glad it worked out.
Old June 19th, 2014, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 Silveraldo 2500 HD changed my radio from factory to a another factory radio from a 2009 silveraldo from auto wrecker. when I turn the radio on it says locked and won't play. Any ideas?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by p davies
I have a 2004 Silveraldo 2500 HD changed my radio from factory to a another factory radio from a 2009 silveraldo from auto wrecker. when I turn the radio on it says locked and won't play. Any ideas?
Went on you tube they had a video on how to unlock the radio by taking out a chip in the radio. Works great now.
The following users liked this post:
Jackbush83 (January 11th, 2020)
Old July 1st, 2014, 3:30 PM
Lon
CF Beginner

I am thinking about doing that also. Getting a newer radio from a wrecker or junk yard to replace mine. It is failing. Half the lights on the front dont work and the door chimes are really really low.

Anyone know what models or year models I can use to replace my stock? Its a 2005 2500HD Work Truck extended cab.
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced my radio with one out of a 2007 silveraldo 2500 exact same wiring plug as my 2004 silveraldo 2500 HD. I had to take the chip out , you tube will show how this is done. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2004 2500HD W/T - Numerous problems after a Radio install -PLEASE HELP!