Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Silverado 2WD rear axle interchange?

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2015, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Silverado 2WD rear axle interchange?

Got a 2005 half ton Silverado that's been a darn good truck. Still runs like a top at 152k miles, but quite a few miles towing my car trailer seems to have taken a slight toll on the rear end. The whine coming from the rear is still modest, but I expect things to continue to get worse. I'm interested in looking for a low mileage rear end to swap into it. The current setup is a 3.42 LSD, and drum brakes. Is there a range of later model (and hopefully lower mileage) rear axles that I can search for that would bolt in with minimal headache?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old December 1st, 2015, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

If you haven't already thought of it, perhaps changing the diff oil to a synthetic might help reduce the noise, and prolong the life of the unit. And, for what it's worth, a noisy rear axle can go a long way before it breaks down.

Last point, if you intend to continue to use the vehicle for towing, you might want to keep an eye out for a 3.73 or even a 4.11 rear gear axle.
Old December 4th, 2015, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cowboycoupe
If you haven't already thought of it, perhaps changing the diff oil to a synthetic might help reduce the noise, and prolong the life of the unit. Worth a shot. And, for what it's worth, a noisy rear axle can go a long way before it breaks down.

Last point, if you intend to continue to use the vehicle for towing, you might want to keep an eye out for a 3.73 or even a 4.11 rear gear axle.
Both good points!

This truck was an off the lot purchase, while the previous truck I bought/ordered had 3.73 gearing. I like the 3.42 better for normal highway cruising, but a couple years ago I bought a Tahoe for winter and DD usage, so I don't plan on too many long trips with the pickup anymore without the trailer attached. So, the 3.73 does sound like the best direction to go.

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2015, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Caliper bracket question.

I've been finding several candidates with the right gearing and limited slip differential, but they're also non '05 model year parts with disc brakes (mine are factory drum). Anyone know if the caliper brackets are bolted or welded onto the outer axle tube/flange? Just trying to see if it's (easily) possible to swap my drum hardware onto a newer axle.
I have kicked around the technical issues of putting in a disc brake rear end, but it seems like most of the recycle yards take the calipers off before selling the rear end. (I don't know if it's a legal liability worry reason, or if they can make a bit more money selling used calipers too.)

Thanks for any constructive information.